1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

For what values of a does the following homogeneous system have a nontrivial solution

1. Oct 15, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

For what values of a does the system

(a-1)x + 2y = 0
    2x + (a-1)y = 0

have a nontrivial solution?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Argh... I'm really bad at linear algebra, can't seem to grasp the concepts.

I know that if I make this into a matrix

[tex]
    \left[
    \begin{array}{cc}
    a-1 & 2\\
    2 & a-1
    \end{array}
    \right]
    [/tex]

that the only way the system will have a nontrivial solution is if the reduced row echelon form is not the 2x2 identity, i.e. the matrix is singular. But I don't know how to use those ideas to solve it. Any help would be great!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 15, 2009 #2

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Re: For what values of a does the following homogeneous system have a nontrivial solu

If the determinant is 0, what does that tell you about the system?

4. Oct 15, 2009 #3
    Re: For what values of a does the following homogeneous system have a nontrivial solu

For some reason, my prof hasn't taught us anything about the determinant. I've read about it, and I sort of have an idea of how it works, but I don't think our prof wants us to use it to solve problems.

5. Oct 15, 2009 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Ok, so start reducing it to echelon form. Divide the first row by a-1. Under what conditions can you fail to get ones on the diagonal?

6. Oct 15, 2009 #5

my intuition is telling me that a = 3 ... i did it like this:

[tex]
    \left[
    \begin{array}{cc}
    2 & a-1\\
    a-1 & 2
    \end{array}
    \right]
    \\
    \text{then}
    \\
    \left[
    \begin{array}{cc}
    1 & \frac{a-1}{2}\\
    \frac{a-1}{2} & 1
    \end{array}
    \right]
    [/tex]

so from this we see that [tex]\frac{a-1}{2} = 1[/tex] because that would make row 2 a multiple of row 1, and subtracting it out would leave a row of zeros. so a = 3.

does it make sense? i feel like i'm missing something.

7. Oct 15, 2009 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That makes a lot of sense. Sure a=3 is a problem. But keep going with the row reduction. Multiply the first row by (a-1)/2 and subtract it from the second row. There is another value of a that creates a problem.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2009
  8. Oct 15, 2009 #7

i was thinking that maybe a = 1 is also a problem, but if you substitute a = 1 into the original matrix, you can transform it into the 2x2 identity.

but if i try to put it into rref i end up having to divide by a-1, and if a=1 then it is undefined.

so i'm confused about that...

9. Oct 15, 2009 #8

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Like I edited my last post to say, just multiply the first row by (a-1)/2 and subtract from the second row. Then ask yourself when you can get a second row of zeros.

10. Oct 15, 2009 #9

ah, i see

a = -1

thanks again dick. you're really saving my skin.

11. Oct 15, 2009 #10

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Well, you are helping by using the hints and thinking about them. Not everyone does that.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook