1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

For what values of p does

1. Sep 8, 2009 #1
    for what values of p does....

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find the values of p for which the series is convergent:

2. Relevant equations
    There are two separate problems I'm having problems with here.
    The first is:
    n=1 to n=∞ ∑ 1/(n(lnn)^p)

The second is:
    n=1 to n=∞ ∑ ln(n)/(n^p)

3. The attempt at a solution
    Okay, I'm almost certain both of them converge for all values p>1. I'm having trouble proving it though.

Question 1:
    On this one, I first took the sister function
    f(x)=1/x(lnx)^p
    and integrated it using u-substitution:
    ∫ (1/x(lnx)^p )dx u=lnx du=(1/x)dx
    ∫u^(-p)du = (u^(-p+1)) / (-p+1)
    which I rewrote as:
    (u^(1-p)) / (1-p)
    then, I took the limit
    lim n→∞ (u^(1-p)) / (1-p), looking for where it would converge.

I didn't really do any editing here, I just assumed p had to be greater than 1 so that the bottom was not negative, and not equal to 0, which would be undefined. Likewise, the top would have a negative exponent which would make the ln(x) converge. Therefore, I decided that it converges for all values p>1. I'm really not sure if I worked this one correctly or not.

Question 2:
    I worked this one very similarly, but because it seems to be more complex, stumbled.
    Once again, I took the sister function:
    f(x)= lnx/x^p integrated by parts:
    ∫(lnx/x^p)dx u=lnx du=(1/x)dx dv=(1/x^p)dx v=x^(1-p)/(1-p)

With this, I'm not completely sure I got the correct value for v, when integrating dv.

However, I proceeded to set up the equation:

uv - ∫vdu = ((lnx)(x^1-p))/(1-p) - ∫[(x^(1-p))/(x(1-p))]dx

By this point, I didn't even bother integrating the ∫vdu because I felt so far off track.
    That's pretty much as far as I worked on that one, assuming any of it is correct.

I'm new to this forum, so I hope I posted all of the necessary information...
    It looks a bit messy, I tried to tidy it up as well as I could with symbols, but I'm not very familiar with how to use the fractions.

Thanks in advance for the help!!!

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 8, 2009 #2

lanedance

Homework Helper

Re: for what values of p does....

i think you mean lim u goes to infinity, which is ok as lnx goes to infinity a s x does

to write in latex, trying clicking on text below to see the script
    [tex] \frac{u^{1-p}}{1-p} [/tex]

you reasoning looks ok to me, but take a look at the first term in your series... may complicate things a little
    I think you're on the right track here, try simplifying the integral & keep going

It should also be easy to do a comparision test for p<=1, with the harmonic series 1/n

4. Sep 8, 2009 #3

Okay, let's see.

I stopped here:
    uv - ∫vdu = ((lnx)(x^1-p))/(1-p) - ∫[(x^(1-p))/(x(1-p))]dx
    and then I picked back up.

[tex] \frac{lnx(x)^{1-p}}{1-p} [/tex] -[tex]
    \frac{1}{1-p}[/tex] ∫[tex]x^(-p)[/tex]

= lim n→∞ [tex] \frac{ln(x)^{1-p}}{1-p} - \frac{x^{1-p}}{(1-p)^{2}} [/tex]

At this point, I said that the limit converges for all values p > 1, because as p grows past 1, the x will be going to negative exponential powers, which converge to 0. Did I follow through well enough?

P.S. I hope I used latex okay.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2009
  5. Sep 9, 2009 #4

lanedance

Homework Helper

Another point, for any cases where p = 1, the integration steps will be different so you should consider this separately

Back to Q2, you get to:
    [tex] \displaystyle\lim_{x\to\infty} \frac{ln(x).x^{1-p}}{1-p} - \frac{x^{1-p}}{(1-p)^{2}} [/tex]

I think you dropped the x somewhere previously, but you will need to consider the limit of ln(x)/x^(1-p), for p > 1

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook