Solve the Problem: Betting on the World Series Game 1

• Thread starter wofsy
  • Start date
In summary, the problem presented is about betting on the World Series in a way that if the Yankees win, you win exactly a dollar and if the Red Sox win, you lose exactly a dollar. The suggested solution is to bet an amount that will result in a net balance of $0 if the series ends in 4 games, and to bet $0.25 if the score is 3-3, $0.50 if the score is 3-2 or 2-3, and $1 if the score is 0-0. This method follows a backwards induction approach commonly used in pricing options and other contingent claims. There is also a probability proof for this methodology.
wofsy
Here is a famous problem for you to enjoy.

You are betting on the World Series and want to make bets in such a way that if the Yankees win the series you win exactly a dollar and if the Red Sox win the series you lose exactly a dollar.

You can bet what ever you want on each game. If the Yankees win that game you win the amount that you bet. If the Red Sox win you lose the amount of your bet. So for instance if on game three you bet ten dollars and the Yankees win, you win ten dollars.
Problem: How much should you bet on the first game?

(The series ends ,of course, as soon as one team has won 4 games.)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Betting against the Red Sox? I disapprove. Let's say instead that you win a dollar if the Red Sox win, and lose a dollar if the Yankees win.

Bet 5/16 dollars on the first game.

I think I should bet 0.25 dollars.
In the second game I should bet the same money as in the first game, if someone else wins the second game than in the first game bet on 0.5 dollars in the third game, if not then bet on 0.25 dollars in the third game. If someone else wins the third game than in the second then bet on 0.5 dollars in the fourth game, if not bet on 0.25.
Now if the team is over after 4 games then you have either won or lost 1 dollar, if not then it's tied 2-2 and in a net balance, and you are left with at most 3 games, you should be on the fith game 0.5, and so in the sixth game, if it's finished in sixth game then you have either won or lost 1 dollar, if not then on the last game bet 1 dollar on the last game.

MathematicalPhysicist said:
I think I should bet 0.25 dollars.
In the second game I should bet the same money as in the first game, if someone else wins the second game than in the first game bet on 0.5 dollars in the third game, if not then bet on 0.25 dollars in the third game. If someone else wins the third game than in the second then bet on 0.5 dollars in the fourth game, if not bet on 0.25.
Now if the team is over after 4 games then you have either won or lost 1 dollar, if not then it's tied 2-2 and in a net balance, and you are left with at most 3 games, you should be on the fith game 0.5, and so in the sixth game, if it's finished in sixth game then you have either won or lost 1 dollar, if not then on the last game bet 1 dollar on the last game.

OK So the Yankees win the first 3 games and you are up 75 cents. The Red Sox win the next two so now you are flat. What do you do then?

Last edited:
mXSCNT said:
Betting against the Red Sox? I disapprove. Let's say instead that you win a dollar if the Red Sox win, and lose a dollar if the Yankees win.

Bet 5/16 dollars on the first game.

do you have a proof?

wofsy said:
do you have a proof?
Suppose the score is 3-3. Then your total winnings up to this point must be $0 and you must bet $1--there is no other way to succeed.

Suppose the score is 3-2, Red Sox ahead. Then you must bet an amount such that if the Red Sox lose, you lose an amount to set you at $0 (because the score is then 3-3), and such that if the Red Sox win, you win an amount to set you at $1. So if the score is 3-2, your total winnings must be +$0.50 and you must bet $0.50. Similarly if the score is 2-3, you must be at -$0.50 and bet $0.50.

Proceed backwards in this manner to reach the answer for when the score is 0-0.

mXSCNT said:
Suppose the score is 3-3. Then your total winnings up to this point must be $0 and you must bet $1--there is no other way to succeed.

Suppose the score is 3-2, Red Sox ahead. Then you must bet an amount such that if the Red Sox lose, you lose an amount to set you at $0 (because the score is then 3-3), and such that if the Red Sox win, you win an amount to set you at $1. So if the score is 3-2, your total winnings must be +$0.50 and you must bet $0.50. Similarly if the score is 2-3, you must be at -$0.50 and bet $0.50.

Proceed backwards in this manner to reach the answer for when the score is 0-0.

Right. You can think of your methodology as pricing a contingent claim on the world series with pay off +- 1 depending on the outcome of the series. This backwards induction is standard in pricing options and other non-path dependent contingent claims.

but there is a probability proof as well.

1. What is the probability of winning a bet on the World Series Game 1?

The probability of winning a bet on the World Series Game 1 varies depending on the teams playing, their current performance, and other factors. It is not possible to accurately determine the probability without considering all these factors.

2. Is it wise to bet on the favorite team in the World Series Game 1?

There is no guarantee that the favorite team will win the World Series Game 1. While they may have a higher chance of winning, it is not always wise to solely base your bet on the favorite team. It is important to consider other factors such as the team's recent performance and any injuries or changes in the lineup.

3. How can I increase my chances of winning a bet on the World Series Game 1?

There is no surefire way to increase your chances of winning a bet on the World Series Game 1. However, you can research and analyze the teams' recent performances, any injuries or changes in the lineup, and other factors that may affect the game's outcome. This can help you make a more informed decision when placing your bet.

4. Is it better to bet on the underdog team in the World Series Game 1?

Betting on the underdog team may have higher potential payouts, but it also comes with a higher risk. It is important to thoroughly research and analyze the teams before making a bet, rather than solely relying on the underdog's potential to win.

5. Are there any strategies for betting on the World Series Game 1?

There is no specific strategy for betting on the World Series Game 1. It is important to do your research and make an informed decision based on the teams' performances and other factors. It is also wise to set a budget and stick to it, rather than chasing losses or betting more than you can afford.