Why is the decay of Ds*+(2110) → Ds+(1969)π0 forbidden?

In summary, the process D*+(2010) → D+(1869)π0 is allowed via the strong interaction because it conserves mass, strangeness, charge, and isospin. The creation of a quark-antiquark pair from an up or down quark allows for the formation of a D+ meson. However, the process Ds*+(2110) → Ds+(1969)π0 is forbidden because it violates conservation laws under the strong interaction. While it may be allowed under the weak force, it is not possible under the strong interaction due to the creation of a strange quark-antiquark pair.
sunrah

Homework Statement

Why is D*+(2010) → D+(1869)π0 allowed via the strong interaction but Ds*+(2110) → Ds+(1969)π0 forbidden.

The numbers in the brackets are masses in MeV.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

My guess was that mass was not conserved, but if π0 is 135 MeV then it is. Strangeness is also conserved. Charge is also conserved. Isospin is also conserved. What else is there to consider?

Physics news on Phys.org
ok so I see that for the allowed process we have:

[itex]
|c\bar{d}\rangle \longrightarrow |c\bar{d}\rangle|d\bar{d}\rangle
[/itex]
for example and for the forbidden process we have:

[itex]
\\
|c\bar{s}\rangle \longrightarrow |c\bar{s}\rangle|d\bar{d}\rangle
[/itex]

my question is does the first process conserve quarks? if so how? I think that the strong interaction can create a quark-antiquark pair from either an up or down quark. But the antidown on the left could create a π+ particle but where does the other down quark come from to make the D+ meson? thanks

Last edited:
here is a stab at answering my own question.
in the first allowed process, the D*+ particle decays producing a [itex]d\bar{d}[/itex]

pair via a gluon and then the [itex]\bar{d}[/itex] joins with the charm quark forming D*+ and the [itex]d[/itex]-quark with

the [itex]\bar{d}[/itex]-quark from the left hand side forming the pion. is that right?

but i still don't know why the second process is not allowed. i think it is allowed under the weak force but why and why not under the strong

thanks

Last edited:

1. What is a "Forbidden D meson decay"?

A Forbidden D meson decay refers to the decay process of a D meson particle, specifically a D0 or D+ meson, into lighter particles in violation of the conservation of flavor quantum numbers. This type of decay is not allowed by the Standard Model of particle physics and is therefore referred to as "forbidden".

2. How is the decay of a D meson typically observed?

The decay of a D meson is typically observed through high energy particle collisions, such as those that occur in particle accelerators. By examining the resulting decay products, scientists can infer information about the properties and behavior of the D meson.

3. What is the significance of studying Forbidden D meson decay?

Studying Forbidden D meson decay can provide valuable insights into the fundamental laws of physics and the nature of matter. It can also help us better understand the behavior of quarks and other subatomic particles, and may lead to the discovery of new particles or interactions.

4. Are there any theories or explanations for Forbidden D meson decay?

There are several theories and explanations for Forbidden D meson decay, including the possibility of undiscovered particles or interactions beyond the Standard Model. Some also suggest that the decay may be caused by violations of fundamental symmetries, such as CP symmetry.

5. How does Forbidden D meson decay differ from other types of particle decay?

Forbidden D meson decay differs from other types of particle decay in that it violates specific conservation laws, such as flavor quantum numbers. This type of decay is also much rarer and more difficult to observe, making it a unique and important area of study in particle physics.