Force: A Conceptual Question

In summary, the problem involves two bodies connected by a light cord on a frictionless surface. The mass of body "P" is greater than that of body "Q." A horizontal force "F" is applied to "Q" causing both bodies to accelerate to the right. The magnitude of the force exerted by the connecting cord on body "P" is C, less than F but not zero. This can be determined by drawing a free body diagram and considering the tension in the connecting cord.
PeachBanana

Homework Statement

Two bodies "P" and "Q" are on a frictionless horizontal surface are connected by a light cord. The mass of "P" is greater than that of "Q." A horizontal force "F" is applied to "Q" as shown below, acceleration the bodies to the right. The magnitude of the force "F" exerted by the connecting cord on body "P" will be:

A. Greater than F
B. Zero
C. Less than F but not zero
D. Equal to F

Homework Equations

F = ma?
I drew a picture.

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought the answer was "A" because the force has to account for mass "P" AND mass "Q."

Attachments

• ForcesConceptual.png
    ForcesConceptual.png
    584 bytes · Views: 471
Physics news on Phys.org
Let The Tension in the connecting cord of P and Q be T. Now draw the FBDs. I think the answer should be C.

vivekrai said:
Let The Tension in the connecting cord of P and Q be T. Now draw the FBDs. I think the answer should be C.

You are right; the answer IS C. I was thinking of the force in front of "Q."

1. What is force?

Force is a physical quantity that describes the interaction between two objects. It can cause an object to accelerate, decelerate, or change direction.

2. How is force measured?

Force is measured in Newtons (N), which is the amount of force required to accelerate a mass of 1 kilogram by 1 meter per second squared.

3. What are the different types of forces?

The different types of forces include gravitational force, electromagnetic force, strong nuclear force, and weak nuclear force. There are also contact forces, such as friction and tension, and non-contact forces, such as magnetic and electric forces.

4. How does force affect motion?

Force can cause an object to change its state of motion. A net force acting on an object will cause it to accelerate in the direction of the force. If there is no net force, the object will either remain at rest or continue moving at a constant velocity.

5. What factors affect the strength of a force?

The strength of a force depends on the mass of the objects involved and the distance between them. The greater the mass and the smaller the distance, the stronger the force will be.