Calculating Mass and Acceleration with Constant Force and Distance Traveled

In summary, the object moves a distance of 5 meters after being subject to a constant force of 40 Newtons.
annedi
A constant force of 40 N acts on an object that is initially at rest on a smooth, horizontal surface. The object is observed to move a distance of 5.0m.

a.) what is the object's mass?
b.) what is the acceleration?

I can't seem to know what to do here. Can I solve this problem without given time. I am completely lost. can you please help me here

Physics news on Phys.org
annedi said:
Can I solve this problem without given time.
Can you write the general equations for mass and acceleration? Occasionally you will run into problems for which a specific numerical answer is not asked of you. You have stated that time is not given, so this might be such a problem.

Are you quite sure there is no other information? Have you stated the problem word for word?

Yes, I have.. These are the exact words written in the book

Bystander said:
Can you write the general equations for mass and acceleration? Occasionally you will run into problems for which a specific numerical answer is not asked of you. You have stated that time is not given, so this might be such a problem.
I don't know if this would really help but I'm dealing here "Newton's 2nd Law of Motion" so the formula here is F=ma..

haruspex said:
Are you quite sure there is no other information? Have you stated the problem word for word?
Yes, I have. these are the exact words on the book

annedi said:
Yes, I have. these are the exact words on the book
Then you should do as Bystander suggests. Treat time as an unknown. Label it t. Proceed to solve the problem. The result should be the object's mass expressed as function of t and its acceleration, expressed as a function of t.

You are not told how long it takes the object to move 5 meters? Then the best you can do is find the mass and acceleration as functions of that time.

would this mean..
vf=(5.0m/Time)
a=(5.0m / time^2)
m= F/a
m=40N time^2/5.0m

is this right??

Can you post a scan of the page in the book?

X(t)=0.5at^2 (the body is starting with no initial speed)=5(m)
a=10\t^2
F=40(N)=ma(Newton 2nd law)
by positioning of the value of acceleration we found in the new equation. and also transport members we found the mass
m=4t^2
the two values that you found dependent on the value of the time that it takes the body to move those 5 meters...

DaniV said:
X(t)=0.5at^2 (the body is starting with no initial speed)=5(m)
a=10\t^2
F=40(N)=ma(Newton 2nd law)
by positioning of the value of acceleration we found in the new equation. and also transport members we found the mass
m=4t^2
the two values that you found dependent on the value of the time that it takes the body to move those 5 meters...
oh yeah.. i get it now.. i was a little confused with the formula a while ago.. THANKS A LOT FOR THE HELP ;)

Likes DaniV

What is force?

Force is a physical quantity that describes the interaction between two objects. It is typically measured in Newtons (N) and is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

What is acceleration?

Acceleration is the rate of change of an object's velocity. It is measured in meters per second squared (m/s^2) and is also a vector quantity. An object can accelerate by changing its speed, direction, or both.

What is mass?

Mass is a measure of the amount of matter in an object. It is typically measured in kilograms (kg) and is a scalar quantity, meaning it only has magnitude and no direction. Mass is constant and does not change with location or gravitational force.

How are force, acceleration, and mass related?

According to Newton's Second Law of Motion, force is equal to mass multiplied by acceleration (F=ma). This means that an object with a greater mass requires a greater force to accelerate at the same rate as an object with less mass.

How does Newton's Third Law of Motion relate to force, acceleration, and mass?

Newton's Third Law states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. This means that when an object exerts a force on another object, the second object will exert an equal and opposite force back. This is important to consider when calculating the net force on an object, as all forces must be taken into account.