Calculating Acceleration with Friction and Applied Force

• Thread starter dance_sg
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Force
In summary, to find the acceleration of a sled being towed by a tractor, you first divide the weight of the sled and cargo (490 N) by the acceleration due to gravity (9.81 m/s^2) to get the mass (49.95 kg). Then, you multiply this by the coefficient of sliding friction (0.400) to get the frictional force (19.98 N). Subtract this from the force exerted by the tractor (300 N) to get the net force (280.02 N). Finally, divide this by the mass to get the acceleration (5.61 m/s^2).
dance_sg

Homework Statement

A sled and cargo weighing 490 N is towed by a tractor over a horizontal field where the coefficient of sliding friction is 0.400. If the tractor exerts a force of 300 N, what is the acceleration of the sled?

Homework Equations

Fk/µkM

The Attempt at a Solution

i Tried changing the 490N to Kg by dividing it by 9.81. that gave me 49.95. i then multiplied that by 0.400. then i divided that final number from 300 N.

Physics news on Phys.org
dance_sg said:

Homework Statement

A sled and cargo weighing 490 N is towed by a tractor over a horizontal field where the coefficient of sliding friction is 0.400. If the tractor exerts a force of 300 N, what is the acceleration of the sled?

Homework Equations

Fk/µkM

The Attempt at a Solution

i Tried changing the 490N to Kg by dividing it by 9.81. that gave me 49.95. i then multiplied that by 0.400. then i divided that final number from 300 N.

490 N is the normal reaction. So the frictional force fk= μkN.
Acceleration = (F - fk)/m

O thank you so much :)

What is force?

Force is a physical quantity that can cause an object to accelerate or change its state of motion. It is typically measured in Newtons (N) and is represented by the symbol F.

How is force related to acceleration?

According to Newton's Second Law of Motion, force is directly proportional to acceleration. This means that as the force acting on an object increases, its acceleration also increases. The relationship between force and acceleration can be expressed mathematically as F = m x a, where m is the mass of the object and a is its acceleration.

What is friction?

Friction is a force that opposes the motion or attempted motion of an object. It is caused by the interaction between two surfaces in contact and can be affected by factors such as the roughness of the surfaces and the amount of force pushing them together.

How does friction affect acceleration?

Friction can act in the direction opposite to the motion of an object, which means it can decrease the acceleration of the object. This is because frictional forces act to resist the motion of an object, making it more difficult for the object to accelerate.

What are some real-life examples of force, acceleration, and friction?

Examples of force include pushing a door open, throwing a ball, or lifting a weight. Acceleration can be observed in a car speeding up or a ball rolling down a hill. Friction is present in activities such as walking on the ground, rubbing your hands together, or riding a bike.