1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Force, acceleration, gravity question

1. Oct 4, 2005 #1
    Hi, I've been working on my homework assignment, and there are a couple tricky questions that I hope someone can give me a few pointers on.

Question:
    Compressed air is used to fire a 60 g ball vertically upward from a 5.3 m tall tube. The air exerts an upward force of 3.3 N on the ball as long as it is in the tube. How high does the ball go above the top of the tube?

I have tried a few things:
    First, I tried finding the acceleration in the tube and then using that to find the speed at the end of the tube.

F=ma
    a=55.0m/s/s
    then vf^2=vi^2+2a*d
    vf= 17.38 m/s

Then to find height, I used vf^2=vi^2+2a*d with vf from the tube as the new vi, and vf=0 because it's at the max height.
    Using 0=17.38^2+2(-9.8)d
    d=15.41 m (which is incorrect)

I also tried d=.5*gt^2 and got d=35m (also incorrect)

If anyone can give me a better direction, I would be very greatful,

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 4, 2005 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

To find the acceleration, first find the net force on the ball. (You forgot about gravity.)

4. Oct 4, 2005 #3
    That makes sense, but following the same steps using net force as applied-gravity (net force= 2.712N), I get d to be 24.4 m, which is still not the correct answer.

5. Oct 4, 2005 #4

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

That's the answer I get. (Your method is fine.)

6. Oct 4, 2005 #5
    The program that I am imputing the answers into still tells me that I don't have the correct answer, so I think that it might be missing something still.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?