1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Force / Acceleration help

1. Apr 13, 2004 #1
    Can someone help me with these two questions:

1. a body of mass 2.0 kg is acted on by a downward force of gravity and a horizontal force of 40N. Find it's acceleration and velocity as a function of time, assuming it starts from rest.

2. Find the resistance of the air to the motion of a body of 4.0kg in free fall with a gravitational acceleration of 9.2m/s^2.

I feel there is not enough information to answer these.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 13, 2004 #2

turin

Homework Helper

You should assume some value for the gravitational acceleration. Usually, the standard value is 9.8 m/s2. You can use the kinematical equation to get the velocity.

This sounds like one of two things: 1) not enough info., or 2) a trick question. Do you usually get trick questions?

4. Apr 13, 2004 #3

JJ

1. The block goes 80ms^-2 to the right (let's say), and goes 9.8ms^-2 downwards. Use the pythagorian thereom to find its resulting acceleration. By finding the velocity in function of time they might want you to draw a graph... good luck, I hate doing those.

2. Objects in free fall eventually stop accelerating downwards when they reach a high enough velocity. So, at that point the resistance would be 9.2ms^-2 times 4kg.

Unless I'm missing something, that should be it.

5. Apr 13, 2004 #4
    Do you usually get trick questions?[/QUOTE]

Sometimes. But I don't see how it can be a trick question.

6. Apr 13, 2004 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I don't see anything very tricky about them. Number 1 is a straightforward vector problem. The only thing "tricky" is the wording: "a gravitational acceleration of 9.2m/s^2." Did the problem really say that or did it say something like "falling under gravity the acceleration is 9.2 m/s2? The point is that gravitation acceleration (on the surface of the earth) approximately 9.8 m/s2 because the force of gravity is 9.8 times the mass. If the body is falling with acceleration 9.2 m/s2 then there is a net force of 9.2 times the mass. The air resistance force is (9.8- 9.2)= 0.6 times the mass. Since the mass is given as 4.0 kg, the force of air resistance is 0.6(4)= 2.4 Newtons.

7. Apr 14, 2004 #6
    But I still don't understand how to get the velocity.

8. Apr 14, 2004 #7

enigma

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Newtons 2nd:
    F = ma

Constant acceleration motion:
    V(t) = V0 + a*t

Give it a shot and let us know if and where you get stuck.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?