What are the components of F and how can vectors be used to determine them?

In summary: You should be using this value for AC, not 5.65. But I don't see where you're going with all this. It looks like you're trying to find the coordinates of C. But you already know the coordinates of C. Why are you doing all this?In summary, the problem involves finding the vector components of F along BD, given that B is located 3 m along the rod from end C. The coordinates of A and C are given, and the problem can be solved by finding the coordinates of point B using similar triangles and ratios. The length of AC is approximately 6.403, which should be used in calculations instead of 5.65. The coordinates of B can be
sevag00

Homework Statement

Determine the components of F that act along rod AC and perpendicular to it.
Given: B is located 3 m along the rod from end C.

The problem is that the coordinates of B aren't given so I'm having some trouble in finding the vector components of F along BD. If someone can give me a hint in finding the coordinates of B.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    12 KB · Views: 677
Physics news on Phys.org
Hint: The coordinates of A and C are given.

Still no clue. Is this related to Pythagoras theorem?

sevag00 said:

Sure, that'll work. Drop a perpendicular from B to the xy plane. Also draw line OC if it helps you to visualize the triangles.

sevag00 said:
The only thing you don't know is the z coordinate of point B. But you do know that a vector drawn from point D to point B will be perpendicular to a vector drawn from point A to point C. So you know that the cross product of these two vectors must be zero.

Chet

=sevag00;4545771The problem is that the coordinates of B aren't given...
But you know the coordinates of A and C.

sevag00 said:
The rod stretches from A to C.

What are the coordinates of A? What are the coordinates of C?
What is the equation of the line representing the rod?

You are also told:
B is located 3 m along the rod from end C.
What are the coordinates of the point 3m along the rod from C?

A(0,0,4) C(-3,4,0)
rAC=(-3-0)i+(4-0)j+(0-4)k

Do you not know how to find the coordinates of a point 3m back along that line?
How far along the line is that?

Compare with the length of the line: |rAC|=?

Perhaps you'll find it easier to think of in terms of vectors... the vector equation of the line starting at A and going along the beam is:

##\vec{r}_{beam} = \vec{r}\!_A + \lambda\vec{r}\!_{AC}##

i.e. ##(x,y,z) = (0,0,4)+\lambda (-3,4,-4)##

... notice that as λ goes from 0 to 1, rbeam=(x,y,z) goes from point A to point C.

... what does λ have to be to get you the point 3m back from C?

Sorry but the equation you just wrote is out of the scope of the chapter.
What does lambda stand for in that equation. Also isn't rbeam=rAC?

Oh - you don't know about vector equations ... drat!

##\vec{r}_{beam}## is a vector pointing from the origin to a point on the beam.
##\vec{r}\!_{AC}## is a vector pointing along the beam. ##|\vec{r}\!_{AC}|=|AC|##

lambda is a parameter ... ##0<\lambda<1##
when ##\lambda=0## the equation just gives ##(x,y,z)=(0,0,4)## ... which is point A.
when ##\lambda=1## the equation just gives ##(x,y,z)=(-3,4,-4)## ... which is point C.
when ##\lambda## is in-between, then ##(x,y,z)## is a point on the beam in between A and C.

It will get you your answer very directly.

If you use pythagoras and maybe some trig - then you want to construct the triangle OAC - sketch it out. (point O being the origin.)

Point B is 3m up the hypotenuse... you should be able to find it's z-coordinate from that using similar triangles.

You get the x-y coordinates from where B projects onto the OC side.

You'll see what happens if you sketch the side and overhead views of the beam, and mark out where B is.

There's some geometry tricks to notice:
See on the diagram where the 3m sight-line touches the y-axis?
Call that point E.
Then triangle OCE is a 3-4-5 triangle... so the distance |OC| must be...

So the hypotenuse of OAC must be equal to...Aside:
You know you could always draw a scale diagram and measure?

Last edited:
Let's do it one step at a time. Here is the triangle.
Untitled.jpg

I'm not sure if B is the midpoint of AC. What do you say?
Also, I didn't get how the z coordinate of B is 3.
Also, AC=5.65

Harken back to your geometry classes; invoke similar triangles:

https://www.physicsforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=63213&stc=1&d=1382439539
$$\frac{Be}{BC} = \frac{AO}{AC}$$
The other coordinates of B can be found by recognizing other similar triangle opportunities in the setup.

Where is point E on the triangle?

sevag00 said:
Where is point E on the triangle?

I added point e to your diagram when I dropped the vertical line from B to the xy plane (where the base of the triangle sits).

Sorry, i can't view that image. The attachment is broken.

sevag00 said:
Sorry, i can't view that image. The attachment is broken.

Really? It shows up fine for me in post #12. The link looks fine.

In words then: Take your drawing and drop a vertical line from B to the base of the triangle. Call the point where it meets the base point e. BeC then forms a triangle similar to AOC. Use ratios to find the length of Be.

$$\frac{Be}{BC} = \frac{AO}{AC}$$
$$\frac{Be}{3} = \frac{4}{5.65}$$
Be = 2.12 = zB
eC also equal to 2.12 which is equal to yB
BC = (-3-2.12)i + (4-2.12)j + (0-zB)k
BC = -5.12i + 2.12j + zBk
BC2 = (-5.12)2 + (2.12)2 + zB2

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    6 KB · Views: 438
zB 2 is being negative when i subtract.

I'm not sure what it is you're trying to find with these calculations. I thought you were going to find the coordinates of the point B.

Even so, it looks to me like the value you're plugging in for the length AC is not correct. How did you obtain it?

Using Pythagoras theorem i calculated the length of AC which is 5.65.
I made a mistake early on, it should be;
BC = (-3-x)i + (4-2.12)j + (0-2.12)k
By the above equation I am trying to get the x coordinate of B.

Last edited:
Well let's see. The coordinates of the endpoints of AC are: A = (0,0,4) ; C = (-3, 4, 0). Then

$$|AC| = \sqrt{(0 - (-3))^2 + (0 - 4)^2 + (4 - 0)^2} = \sqrt{41} \approx 6.403$$

Aha. Then Be = eC = 1.874. Which are also the y and z components of B
Using my method above we plug in 1.874 instead of 2.12.
We get the x coordinate of B, right?

Why do you say that Be = eC? Are you claiming that AC makes a 45° angle with the xy-plane?

Here's the original diagram again with the force F removed for clarity, and additional annotations for easy reference:

attachment.php?attachmentid=63218&stc=1&d=1382453404.gif

The y-coordinate of B will be determined by the length of the line segment Of. the x-coordinate by the length of the line segment fe (and according to the directions of the axes, you want -fe).

Attachments

• Fig1.gif
    Fig1.gif
    7.8 KB · Views: 647
Are we going to use similar triangles again?

sevag00 said:
Are we going to use similar triangles again?

Well, you get to choose the method. I've suggested using similar triangles, and Simon Bridge has suggested a vector approach. Either will get the job done, although Simon's is speedier and you will still need to use vectors to finish the problem.

OC = 5, I have Be and BC, i get eC. Then OC - eC = Oe
$$\frac{Oe}{Of} = \frac{AC}{AO}$$
We get Of. Then Pythagoras on triangle Ofe, we get fe.
Is this approach correct?

I wouldn't trust that angle OAC is the same as angle fOe without proof.

Instead I would look to guaranteed similar triangles Ofe and OhC. You know length OC (5), and you can find Oe easily enough from the way AC is divided into parts by point B.

Is this what you're saying?
$$\frac{Oe}{Of} = \frac{OC}{OH}$$

That would work just fine.

Ok. Thanks for the help.

But i don't know if my professor knows that the students know or remember similar triangles. I'm curious to know how is he going to solve this problem during class.

sevag00 said:
But i don't know if my professor knows that the students know or remember similar triangles. I'm curious to know how is he going to solve this problem during class.

Everyone is expected to remember their geometry :smile:

I would bet he'll use vectors. To complete the problem without vectors would be very taxing.

Finding the location of point B using geometry is pretty straightforward. When the force F is added in and you start looking for components parallel to and perpendicular to the pipe, the geometry soon becomes tedious (although still doable, the amount of effort is just begging for errors to slip in). Vectors will take care of it all in just a few lines!

1. What is F and why is it important in science?

F is a symbol that represents a force, which is a fundamental concept in physics and other scientific fields. It helps us understand how objects interact with each other and how they move.

2. What are the components of F and how are they related?

The components of F are the magnitude (size) and direction of the force. These two components are related through trigonometric functions, such as sine and cosine, which can be used to calculate the force in different directions.

3. How can vectors be used to determine the components of F?

Vectors are mathematical objects that represent both magnitude and direction. By breaking down a force vector into its x and y components, we can use trigonometry to calculate the magnitude and direction of the force.

4. Can vectors be used to determine the direction of F without knowing its magnitude?

Yes, vectors can be used to determine the direction of F without knowing its magnitude. This is because the direction of the force is represented by the direction of the vector, while the magnitude is represented by the length of the vector.

5. How are vectors used in real-life applications to determine the components of F?

Vectors are used in many real-life applications, such as engineering and navigation, to determine the components of F. For example, in engineering, vectors are used to calculate the forces acting on a structure, while in navigation, vectors are used to determine the direction and magnitude of wind and water currents.