1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Force acting upon a cylinder

1. Sep 6, 2015 #1
    So the task is to calculate how much force a cylinder supports in a front loader when the load is held in a horisontal position. I have made a simplified diagram of the problem with the known data.
    I hope that my attached image makes any sense.
    Thanks in advance.
    2zohnoz.png

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 6, 2015 #2
    Are there no movements or deformation? Does the suport structure (in black) have mass? If not, first calulate the amount of torque created by the weight around the pivot point, then, at the position where the 0.175m stick is, a upward force can be calculated, this force should create a torque strong enough to cancel out the weight's torque. The upward force is supplied by the cylinder's support (so I think from looking at your diagram) and it is the vertical component of the force created by the cylinder. Using trignometry, find out the total force the cylinder is applying. Have fun in P.F.

4. Sep 7, 2015 #3
    Thanks a ton!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted