Solving Force Analysis: Understanding Vertical and Horizontal Forces

In summary, the conversation is about figuring out the forces Fx and Fy in a drawing with a vertical force acting on a bracket. It is mentioned that the object is static and the net torque is zero. The conversation also discusses the possibility of translating torque into force, with the formula being force = torque/distance. Examples are given to illustrate this concept.
GBE111
Hi, I'm trying to figure out the forces Fx in the drawing I have uploaded. If I have a vertical force Fy acting on the bracket I have drawn. I know from experience that this force is going to pull my bracket horizontally but I can't figure out how I work out a horizontal force from a vertical one? Please help??

20170724_205348.jpg

Engineering news on Phys.org
Since you're dealing with a rigid body with one pivot point you will want to resolve the total torque about the pivot. These will be functions of the dimensional parameters and the applied forces. Since the object is static the net torque is zero.

Likes Dr.D
GBE111 said:
Hi, I'm trying to figure out the forces Fx in the drawing I have uploaded. If I have a vertical force Fy acting on the bracket I have drawn. I know from experience that this force is going to pull my bracket horizontally but I can't figure out how I work out a horizontal force from a vertical one? Please help??

View attachment 207735

Can I translate the torque into force? As the fixings I have at Fx are rated in kN?

The problem with working with forces is that there are more unknown forces than force equations since the pivot point is applying a force. However the pivot point cannot apply a torque about itself by the nature of it being a pivot point. Now your diagram does not show the total length in the y direction but calling that L, the total torque (which adds to 0) is (taking the CCW direction as positive) (and as I read the diagram):
[tex] 0 = F_x \cdot (L-y) - F_y \cdot x [/tex]
and the units assuming distances are in meters is kNm as you indicated the forces are give in kiloNewtons.

A Torque times the perpendicular distance off center by which it acts. In a more general setting one can express it in terms of cross products but units will end up being force times distance.

GBE111 said:
Can I translate the torque into force?
Yes.
torque = force x distance, so force = torque/distance
The distance being the distance from the pivot, perpendicular to the line of action of the force.
Examples below. (Lxd is the torque caused by the load.)

bracket.png

What is force analysis?

Force analysis is the process of breaking down and understanding the forces acting on an object or system in order to predict its motion or stability.

What are vertical forces?

Vertical forces are forces that act in a direction perpendicular to the surface of the earth, such as gravity and normal forces.

What are horizontal forces?

Horizontal forces are forces that act in a direction parallel to the surface of the earth, such as friction and tension.

How do you solve for vertical forces?

To solve for vertical forces, you must first identify all the forces acting on the object or system in the vertical direction. Then, use Newton's second law (F=ma) to calculate the net force and determine the resulting motion.

How do you solve for horizontal forces?

To solve for horizontal forces, you must first identify all the forces acting on the object or system in the horizontal direction. Then, use Newton's second law (F=ma) to calculate the net force and determine the resulting motion or equilibrium.