1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Force and acceleration! and graphs!

1. Jul 11, 2004 #1
    i know that acceleration and force are similar and dependent on one another...but are they always the same and are their graphs always identical??? or are they just proportional??? :frown:

Also, anyone know how answer this question:

two forces are applied to a cart with two different spring scales (whats a spring scale?) the spring scale F1 reads 2.0 N. the cart moves toward the left with acceleration towards the left of 2.50 m/s/s. what does spring scale F2 read? :confused:

i know i need to use proportions to solve this...or at least i think so...but i dont know where to start...thanx for all ur help in advance guys :smile:
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 11, 2004 #2
    A spring scale is simply a method of reading the spring force.
    The problem description is not adequate to solve . Ray
  4. Jul 11, 2004 #3
    ok...at least now i have an idea of what a spring scale IS...but i still have no idea how to go about solving this problem...anyone have any ideas? :frown:
  5. Jul 11, 2004 #4

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

For a given mass, the net force applied is proportional to the resulting acceleration. For example: Double the force and you double the acceleration.
    Not enough info given. I suspect you left out the resulting acceleration when F2 is applied.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?