Force and acceleration problem

In summary, the question is asking for a determination of the y-component of the normal force acting on the widget during the first second of motion and whether it is necessary to consider an x-component of the normal force in this scenario.
3ephemeralwnd

Homework Statement

A testing laboratory wants to determine if a new widget can wistand large accelerations and decelerations. to find out, they glue a 5.0 kg widget to a test stand that will drive it vertically up and down. the graph shows its acceleration during the first second, starting from rest.
[I can't really put the graph on here, but basically its an acceleration-time graph, the initial acceleration is 19.6 m/s^2 (at t=0), and at the end of the graph (t=1) the acceleration is -19.6 m/s^2, with acceleration = 0 at the halfway point (t=1/2)]
a) identify the forces acting on the widget and draw a free-body diagram
b) determine the value of Ny, the y-component of the normal force acting on the widget, during the first second of motion. give your answer as a graph of Ny vs TThe attempt at a solution
There are actualy more parts to this question, however my issue is that I don't really understand the set-up of the situation.. from my understanding, the bottom of the object is glued onto a test stand, which moves up and down. if this is the case, shoudln't the entire normal force be in the Y-direction anyway? The question seems to imply that there is also an x-component as well.

any thoughts?

Physics news on Phys.org
3ephemeralwnd said:

Homework Statement

A testing laboratory wants to determine if a new widget can wistand large accelerations and decelerations. to find out, they glue a 5.0 kg widget to a test stand that will drive it vertically up and down. the graph shows its acceleration during the first second, starting from rest.
[I can't really put the graph on here, but basically its an acceleration-time graph, the initial acceleration is 19.6 m/s^2 (at t=0), and at the end of the graph (t=1) the acceleration is -19.6 m/s^2, with acceleration = 0 at the halfway point (t=1/2)]
a) identify the forces acting on the widget and draw a free-body diagram
b) determine the value of Ny, the y-component of the normal force acting on the widget, during the first second of motion. give your answer as a graph of Ny vs T

The attempt at a solution
There are actualy more parts to this question, however my issue is that I don't really understand the set-up of the situation.. from my understanding, the bottom of the object is glued onto a test stand, which moves up and down. if this is the case, shoudln't the entire normal force be in the Y-direction anyway? The question seems to imply that there is also an x-component as well.

any thoughts?
I agree with you. Perhaps the question was an attempt to test the knowledge of the reader regarding the direction of the normal force. As you note, it can only be in the y direction. The test stand behaves similarly to a massless, frictionless, ideal spring with a 5 kg object attached to it, compressed, and released from rest, over the first second of motion.

Last edited:

1. What is the relationship between force and acceleration?

According to Newton's Second Law of Motion, the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on the object and inversely proportional to its mass. This means that the greater the force applied, the greater the acceleration, and the greater the mass, the lower the acceleration.

2. How do you calculate force and acceleration?

Force can be calculated by multiplying mass by acceleration (F=ma). Acceleration can be calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the change in time (a = Δv/Δt).

3. What is the difference between velocity and acceleration?

Velocity is the measure of how fast and in what direction an object is moving, while acceleration is the measure of how quickly an object's velocity is changing. Velocity takes into account both speed and direction, while acceleration only considers the change in speed.

4. How does friction affect force and acceleration?

Friction is a force that opposes motion and can decrease an object's acceleration. This is because friction works in the opposite direction of the object's motion, so it requires more force to overcome friction and continue accelerating.

5. Can an object have force without experiencing acceleration?

Yes, an object can have force without experiencing acceleration if the forces acting on the object are balanced. This means that the net force is equal to zero, and the object will remain at a constant velocity or at rest.