Force and Acceleration

Two blocks are connected by a string, as shown in the figure. The smooth inclined surface makes an angle of = 34° with the horizontal, and the block on the incline has a mass of 5.7·kg. The mass of the hanging block is 2.4·kg.

What is the magnitude of the hanging block's acceleration?

I really don't know how to start with this problem. If you could give me some starting equations that would be really helpful. Thank you

Edit: Here's the link! Sorry about that http://imgur.com/PH12mmc [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:

Answers and Replies

missing picture....

First try to draw the free body diagram.Find the components of forces along the inclined plane(x-axis) and perpendicular to the inclined plane(y-axis)
Use ƩFx=max and ƩFy=may
Solve these equations you will definitely get the answer

First try to draw the free body diagram.Find the components of forces along the inclined plane(x-axis) and perpendicular to the inclined plane(y-axis)
Use ƩFx=max and ƩFy=may
Solve these equations you will definitely get the answer
Alright, so I just went back to this problem. When doing the forces along the X axis, would I use the Force of Weight of the hanging block (2.4*9.8=23.52N) as the positive X force and the x component of the force of weight on the bigger block (55.86sin34=31.24N) as the negative x force, and that's it for the forces on the x axis? What would the Y forces be?

Last edited:
Ok, just figured it out and I'm annoyed at it. It's +.95, and I had -.95 to begin with. Not sure why it's positive but it is. Thanks for the help.