1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Force and Acceleration

1. Oct 25, 2013 #1
    Two blocks are connected by a string, as shown in the figure. The smooth inclined surface makes an angle of = 34° with the horizontal, and the block on the incline has a mass of 5.7·kg. The mass of the hanging block is 2.4·kg.

What is the magnitude of the hanging block's acceleration?

I really don't know how to start with this problem. If you could give me some starting equations that would be really helpful. Thank you

Edit: Here's the link! Sorry about that http://imgur.com/PH12mmc [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 25, 2013 #2
    missing picture....

4. Oct 25, 2013 #3
    fixed. sorry about that!

5. Oct 25, 2013 #4
    First try to draw the free body diagram.Find the components of forces along the inclined plane(x-axis) and perpendicular to the inclined plane(y-axis)
    Use ƩFx=max and ƩFy=may
    Solve these equations you will definitely get the answer

6. Oct 28, 2013 #5
    Alright, so I just went back to this problem. When doing the forces along the X axis, would I use the Force of Weight of the hanging block (2.4*9.8=23.52N) as the positive X force and the x component of the force of weight on the bigger block (55.86sin34=31.24N) as the negative x force, and that's it for the forces on the x axis? What would the Y forces be?

Last edited: Oct 28, 2013
  7. Oct 28, 2013 #6
    Ok, just figured it out and I'm annoyed at it. It's +.95, and I had -.95 to begin with. Not sure why it's positive but it is. Thanks for the help.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted