Measuring Forces on an Angle: An Exploration

In summary, when you shoot a rocket at an angle, you just figure out the horizontal and vertical parts of the motion separately, because one does not affect the other.
Newton V

Homework Statement

how do we measure 2 forces on an angle?

let's say we get an object that is moving ( a rocket?)

the gravity pull it down while the rocket engineer gives more force.

however to reach the highest height, we shot it at 90 degree(horizon). and also at that time, the gravity and engineer force are facing each other in a straight line.

then what would happen if 2 forces are meet in different angles?

such as 45 degree?

Homework Equations

I know the equations for forces, however what i am trying to understand is what is the effect of angle on forces?

The Attempt at a Solution

google get a bunch of useless inf...

Physics news on Phys.org
Forces are what are called vector quantities and need to be resolved into their respective components to analytically solve for the specific effect.

do you know a good equation for it?

You would draw a diagram representing the vector quantities, and solve for the resultant vector. Usually law of sine and cosine are helpful

Newton, I must tell you about an interesting demonstration I used to do for all my physics students. I had this light bulb hanging from the ceiling via an electromagnet. At the side of the room, at the same height as the bulb, I had a spring gun that could shoot a ball bearing toward the bulb. When the spring was released to shoot the bearing horizontally, the current to the electromagnet was cut so the bulb fell at the same time.

The interesting thing was that the bulb and the ball fell the same way so the ball always hit the bulb! Even when I changed the stretch on the spring so it shot the ball faster or slower.

It seems that the horizontal motion does not affect the vertical motion!

When you shoot a rocket at an angle, you just figure out the horizontal and vertical parts of the motion separately, because one does not affect the other.

PS I must confess that my gun did not shoot straight so the ball usually passed on one side or the other of the bulb. But the height was right!

Newton V, good basic question. As you may have learned from your intro class, forces are represented by vectors. This is because they have magnitude (strength) and direction. What you should do
1) draw a picture of the problem.
2) Draw the force diagram,
3) break the forces into components, in this case the horizontal and vertical directions,
4) solve for your net force by adding the forces together in their component forms
5) write your answer in component form using either vector notation or magnitude and angle form.

** You will need a to use some trig, but don't be afraid. They're just homework probelms.

Delphi51 said:
The interesting thing was that the bulb and the ball fell the same way so the ball always hit the bulb! Even when I changed the stretch on the spring so it shot the ball faster or slower.

It seems that the horizontal motion does not affect the vertical motion!
QUOTE]

wait i do not fully understand... how come the bulb and ball fall at same way? didn't the ball hit the stone?

Fall the same way - both ball and bulb are always at the same height. They have the same vertical motion.

Do you have a video or some kind picture? i still don't get it... so they fall at the same spot? or they just meet at same height?

Sorry, no video. Imagine the bulb falling from the ceiling in the middle of the room. The ball is shot from the side of the room toward the bulb. They meet just above a garbage can so the glass from the bulb is neatly disposed of.

oh i get it now, i thought you mean the ball hit the bulb before it fall...

1. What is the purpose of measuring forces on an angle?

The purpose of measuring forces on an angle is to understand the relationship between the magnitude and direction of a force. By measuring the forces on an angle, we can determine the components of the force in different directions and how they contribute to the overall force acting on an object.

2. How do you measure forces on an angle?

To measure forces on an angle, you will need a force sensor, a protractor, and a string or ruler. First, attach the force sensor to the object you want to measure the force on. Then, use the protractor to measure the angle between the force and the horizontal axis. Finally, use the string or ruler to measure the magnitude of the force on the force sensor.

3. What are some applications of measuring forces on an angle?

Measuring forces on an angle has many real-world applications. For example, it can be used in mechanical engineering to design and optimize structures such as bridges and buildings. It can also be used in sports to analyze the forces exerted on equipment or athletes during different movements.

4. What is the difference between measuring forces on an angle and measuring forces on a horizontal plane?

Measuring forces on an angle involves taking into account the direction of the force, whereas measuring forces on a horizontal plane only considers the magnitude of the force. Additionally, measuring forces on an angle allows for a more accurate understanding of the components of the force in different directions.

5. Can forces on an angle be negative?

Yes, forces on an angle can be negative. A negative force on an angle means that the force is acting in the opposite direction of the positive direction. For example, if a force of -10 N is acting at an angle of 45 degrees, it means that the force is acting downwards and to the left.