Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Force and Continuity?

1. Mar 30, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The small piston of a hydraulic lift has a cross sectional area of (2.8 cm^2), and the large piston connected to it has an area of (17 cm^2). What force of F must be applied to the smaller piston to maintain a load of (28000 N)?

2. Relevant equations

A_1 * V_1 = A_2 * V_2

3. The attempt at a solution

Since the volumes are the same, I set the A * F to be set equal to each other on both sides and solved....but I'm not seeing something in the unit conversion.....Idk what to do.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 30, 2008 #2
    Maybe it would help to think of it as Force/Area. You have the right idea setting it up as a proportion.

4. Mar 31, 2008 #3

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

You need to convert cm^2 to m^2

Remember that [itex]1cm=10^{-2}m[/itex] square both sides of that and you will get your conversion.

5. Mar 31, 2008 #4
    OH it'd be F1/A1 = F2/A2, and ya I would have to convert to m^2, by X100 but squaring them??? you mean make it into flat out (m)?

6. Mar 31, 2008 #5

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

[itex]1cm=10^{-2}m \Rightarrow 1cm^{2}=10^{-4}m^2[/itex]..squaring like that to get the conversion.

7. Mar 31, 2008 #6
    Why convert, rock.freak667? The units in the area will cancel. OP will be left with just newtons.

8. Apr 1, 2008 #7

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

oh both are in cm^2...my bad, I read it wrong, I thought one was in m^2 and the other was in cm^2..No need to convert then.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook