How Fast Was the Car Moving When It Hit the Van?

In summary, the conversation discusses an investigation of a car accident involving a 1500 kg car rolling down a hill with a slope of 8 degrees and hitting a parked van. The question is how fast was the car moving when it hit the van, assuming little friction. The conversation also mentions various equations, such as force = mass x acceleration and kinetic energy = force x distance, and the attempt at a solution where the force of gravity pushing down on the car is calculated to be 14,700 N. However, when factoring in the slope and the force, a huge acceleration is obtained, indicating a mistake. The conversation concludes with a clarification that if the car had fallen off a cliff, the maximum acceleration would be equal to the
Jacob Huskisson

Homework Statement

"You are investigating an accident where a 1500 kg car rolls down a hill with a slope of 8 degrees, a distance of 150 m (measured along the road) and hit a parked van. How fast was the car moving when it hit the van, assuming little friction?"

Homework Equations

If I knew all of the equations, I would have most likely figured out the problem.
Force= mass x acceleration
K-work=velocity x impulse
K-work= Force x distance

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
Now what I did so far was calculated the force of gravity pushing down on the car which is mass x gravity acceleration constant which I ended up getting 14,700 N. I then figured out using the 8 degrees and the force I just calculated, the force of the hypotenuse of the right angle I created. When I figured that all out I got some huge acceleration. Can someone please help me with this? I feel like it's so simple.

Physics news on Phys.org
Jacob Huskisson said:
Now what I did so far was calculated the force of gravity pushing down on the car which is mass x gravity acceleration constant which I ended up getting 14,700 N.
Good.

Jacob Huskisson said:
I then figured out using the 8 degrees and the force I just calculated, the force of the hypotenuse of the right angle I created. When I figured that all out I got some huge acceleration.
Show exactly what you did.

If the car fell off a cliff, the most its acceleration could be is equal to g. When it rolls down an incline, the acceleration will be less. So if you got a huge acceleration, you must have made a mistake somewhere.

1. What is the difference between force and energy?

Force is a physical quantity that describes the push or pull on an object, while energy is the ability to do work. Force can cause an object to accelerate, while energy can be transferred from one object to another.

2. How are force and energy related?

Force and energy are related through the concept of work. Work is the product of force and displacement, meaning that a force acting on an object can do work and transfer energy to that object.

3. What are some examples of forces and energy in everyday life?

Forces and energy are present in many aspects of daily life. For example, the force of gravity keeps us grounded, while the energy from the sun provides us with light and warmth. Other examples include the force of friction when walking, and the energy stored in food that we use for activities.

4. How can forces and energy be measured?

Forces can be measured using a device called a force meter or spring scale, which measures the amount of force required to stretch a spring. Energy can be measured in joules using tools such as a calorimeter or by calculating the work done by a force.

5. What are some real-world applications of understanding forces and energy?

Understanding forces and energy is essential in fields such as engineering, physics, and even sports. Engineers use this knowledge to design structures that can withstand various forces, while physicists use it to understand the behavior of particles and objects. In sports, knowledge of forces and energy can help athletes optimize their movements and improve performance.