Force and Friction on an Inclined Plane

1. This question is driving me insane please help.

A 25 kg block of ice slides down an incline 2.5 m long and 1.5 m high. A man pushes up the ice parallel to the incline so it slides down at a constant speed. The coefficient of friction between the ice and incline is 0.10. Find the force exerted by the man.
  2. jcsd
  3. Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Sliding at constant speed implies equilibrium: the forces in any direction add to zero.

Start by identifying all the forces on the block of ice. I count four.
  4. ok I have the same problem.

The four forces I have found are:

Fg = 147.1N (directly down)
    FN = 195.9N (perpendicular to the slope)
    Ff = 19.6N (up parallel the slope)
    F = 147.1N (down parallel the slope)

just want to make sure here..

now I add the 4 vectors together and find out what Force I need to add (up parallel to the slope) in order to make the net force = 0

5. First, you have to draw your "free body diagram". (Did you do that bullroar?)
    There are trig functions that should be applied here because the block is at an incline of [tex]\theta[/tex].
    Once you draw it, you should have something like::

[tex] \Sigma F_{x} = F_{g}\sin\theta + F_{push} + f_{k} = ma[/tex]
    [tex] \Sigma F_{y} = n - F_{g}\cos\theta = 0[/tex]
  6. Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Not sure where you are getting these numbers. The four forces are:
    (1) weight = mg, acting down. This will have components perpendicular and parallel to the incline. If you call the angle that the incline makes with the horizontal [itex]\theta[/itex], then [itex]W_{parallel} = mg \sin \theta[/itex] down the incline and [itex]W_{perpendicular} = mg \cos \theta[/itex] into the incline.

(2) normal force, N, which is the reaction to the forces pulling the block against the incline. [itex]N = mg \cos \theta[/itex], acting out of the plane. (This comes from setting the net force perpendicular to the plane equal to zero.)

(3) friction force = [itex]\mu N = \mu mg \cos \theta[/itex] acting up the plane.

(4) the applied force F that acts up the incline.​

To find the applied force, do as PhysicsinCalifornia advised: set the net force parallel to the plane equal to zero: [itex]mg \sin \theta - \mu mg \cos \theta - F = 0[/itex].
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thead via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?