1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Force and Impulse

1. Oct 23, 2005 #1
    Please can I have some help with this problem:

A machine gun in automatic mode fires 20g bullets with vbullet=300m/s at 60 bullets/second.
    a- If the bullets enters a thick wooden wall, what is the average force exerted against the wall?
    b- If the bullets hit a steel wall and rebound elastically,what is the average force on the wall?

What i did is
    for a:
    I computed the impulse: I= pf-pi= m*v-( 0)=6 N.s
    to calculate the average force: I/(time for one bullet to be fired)= 6/(1/60)=360N

Am I right?
    However I have no idea for the second question??
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 24, 2005 #2
    please can someone help me with this problem?
  4. Oct 24, 2005 #3

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

It's the same idea. The only difference is the change in momentum. (The final velocity of the bullet is not zero.)
  5. Oct 24, 2005 #4
    I think that for the second question, the average force should be twice as much, cos the collision is modelled as completely elastic, so you have the following maths...
    FT = m(u-v) // m = 0.02 kg, u = 300 m/s, v = -300 m/s ...
    Therefore, the answer to the second question is twice your answer to the first part (I think) someone will correct me if I'm wrong, so if I am wrong, then it doesnt matter
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?