Force and Kinetic friction problem

In summary: Fs. :smile:And you've used "the sum of F is x = Fs - F = ma" ... to find that the sum of all the forces acting on the penguin is 37.5 Newtons.Now you need to use "the sum of F is x = F - Fs = ma" ... to find the acceleration, a, of the combined penguin-plus-sled. :smile:In summary, the sled and penguin have a combined weight of 150 N. To move at a constant speed, the force of kinetic friction between the sled and snow must be equal to the sum of
bmandrade
A sled weighing 100 N is pulled horizontally across snow so that the coefficient of kinetic friction between sled and snow is .275. A penguin weighing 50 N rides on the sled

to start with the penguin digs in his claws so he is firmly attached to the sled. What value of F do you need for the sled and penguin to move at constant speed??

after a while, our penguin gets tires od holding on with his claws. Now the coeffient of static friction between penguin and sled is .750 find the maximun horizontal force F that can be exerted on the sled before the penguin bgins to slide off?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi bmandrade! :smile:

Show us what you've tried, and where you're stuck, and then we'll know how to help. :wink:

Ok well I've been doing some diagrams
In my diagrams for 1st part I show that there is a force pulling the sled and opposite to that there is kinetic friction. Force due to gravity is pointing down and a normal pointing up.
for the penguin I show a force which is opposite to the one that pulls the sled. Fg downwards and a normal upward.

For sled
I found the normal to be 100 N since its the same as Fg which 100 N. I multiplied this number times the Kinetic friction to find the force due to kinetic friction (100 N * .275 = 27.5) I knwo that the sum of forces on the horizontal direction are going to equal ma
and mass is 100N/g = 10 Kg (g=10m/s^2)
so
sum of all forces in x = F - 27.5 = 10kg (a)

now I am stuck

bmandrade said:
What value of F do you need for the sled and penguin to move at constant speed??

For sled
I found the normal to be 100 N since its the same as Fg which 100 N. I multiplied this number times the Kinetic friction to find the force due to kinetic friction (100 N * .275 = 27.5) I knwo that the sum of forces on the horizontal direction are going to equal ma
and mass is 100N/g = 10 Kg (g=10m/s^2)
so
sum of all forces in x = F - 27.5 = 10kg (a)

Excellent … :biggrin:

and constant speed means the acceleration, a, is … ? :smile:

acceleration = 0

does that mean that the minimum value for the sled to move will be 27.5 N?

… poor little penguin!

bmandrade said:
does that mean that the minimum value for the sled to move will be 27.5 N?

Yes … except you forgot the penguin! :smile:

ok... I don't know how to deal with the penguin

bmandrade said:
ok... I don't know how to deal with the penguin

Feed it fish, of course! :rolleyes:

I meant, you forgot its weight! :smile:

lol

mmmm i not sure but do I add penguins weight to the force?

You add the penguin's weight to the sled's weight to calculate the normal force, to calculate the friction force. :smile:

oh so its the weight of the whole system
in that case the Force = 41.25 N
becasue Force due to friction is 150(.275) = 41.45 N

so then I use this force to solve part 2 right?

if I am correct then the Static friciton between penguin and sled is
(.750*50)= 37.5 N

so the sum of forces in x direction = force of kinetic friction - force= 0?

bmandrade said:
oh so its the weight of the whole system
in that case the Force = 41.25 N
becasue Force due to friction is 150(.275) = 41.45 N

Yes. :smile:
so then I use this force to solve part 2 right?

No … it's a different F … you start again.
if I am correct then the Static friciton between penguin and sled is
(.750*50)= 37.5 N

Yes. :smile:
so the sum of forces in x direction = force of kinetic friction - force= 0?

Nooo … for the penguin, the sum of forces in x direction = force of kinetic friction = mass x acceleration. :wink:

so for part 2 the force will be different is that force going to be 27.5 or no??

and for the last part where you said no i don't know how to do that because there is no acceleration

bmandrade said:
so for part 2 the force will be different is that force going to be 27.5 or no??

No … the force is unknown … it's the (different) F which you have to calculate.
and for the last part where you said no i don't know how to do that because there is no acceleration

ah … yes there is … the penguin won't come off without acceleration, will it? :smile:

ok so can you help me figure this out because i have no clue how to do it

bmandrade said:
ok so can you help me figure this out because i have no clue how to do it

The penguin will start to slide when the acceleration is enough to balance the maximum possible friction force …

so that gives you the acceleration of the penguin …

the acceleration of the sled-plus-penguin is the same (just before it starts to slide) …

so that gives you the force F on the sled-plus-penguin.

Have a go! :smile:

sorry but i still don't get it

this is what i have
the Fs= 37.5 N
the sum of F is x = Fs - F = ma

but i don't know what F is so i can't solve for a

bmandrade said:
the sum of F is x = Fs - F = ma

No (and what's x? :confused:) … it's only Fs = ma … the friction is an internal force, between the penguin and the sled …

so the friction will only show up in a Newton's second law equation for either the penguin on its own, or the sled on its own …

in this case, do the penguin on its own, to find a, then do the penguin-plus-sled, to find F.

ok so

the penguins acceleration will be .75 m/s^2
i used fs=ma so 37.5 = 50a -------> a = .75 m/s^2

and i use this value for F=ma

which will be F = (.75m/s^2) * 150N = 112.5?

bmandrade said:
the penguins acceleration will be .75 m/s^2
i used fs=ma so 37.5 = 50a -------> a = .75 m/s^2

No … you've used m twice (they'll cancel), and you haven't used g. :frown:

ok sorry but i just don't get it maybe if you explain it with numbers will be easier to understand

bmandrade said:
ok sorry but i just don't get it maybe if you explain it with numbers will be easier to understand

normal force = 50

mass = 50/g

Fs = 50µ = 50a/g.

oh ok
so this gives a to give 7.35 m/s^2

so i used this number for f=ma

which is f= 150(7.35)/g = 112.5

bmandrade said:
oh ok
so this gives a to give 7.35 m/s^2

so i used this number for f=ma

which is f= 150(7.35)/g = 112.5

Yes! :smile:

ugh Thank you so much it was a long and confusing problem.

1. What is the difference between force and kinetic friction?

Force friction is the resistance between two surfaces when they are in contact and one is moving or trying to move. Kinetic friction is the force that opposes the movement of an object when it is already in motion.

2. How do you calculate the force of friction in a problem?

The force of friction is calculated by multiplying the coefficient of friction (a value that represents the roughness of the surfaces in contact) by the normal force (the force exerted by one surface on another). This can be represented by the equation Ff = μN, where Ff is the force of friction, μ is the coefficient of friction, and N is the normal force.

3. What factors affect the force of friction?

The force of friction is affected by the roughness of the surfaces in contact, the weight of the object, and the force applied to the object.

4. How does the force of friction affect an object's motion?

The force of friction acts in the opposite direction of an object's motion and can slow it down or prevent it from moving altogether. In some cases, it can also cause an object to change direction.

5. How can the force of friction be reduced?

The force of friction can be reduced by using lubricants between the surfaces in contact, making the surfaces smoother, or decreasing the weight of the object. Additionally, the type of material used for the surfaces can also affect the force of friction.