So the webpage title could be: How to Calculate Velocity Without Distance Given?

• Thread starter rfurtado
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Force Mass
In summary, the given information includes a 7000. kg plane launched from an aircraft carrier in 2.0 seconds by a force of 350,000 N. The plane's acceleration is 50 m/s2. To find the plane's velocity after 2 seconds, we can use the equation a=vf-vi/t, where vi = 0 and t = 2. Solving for vf, we get vf = at = 50(2) = 100 m/s. The attempt at a solution involved trying to use the formula for velocity, but this was incorrect. Instead, the formula a=vf-vi/t is more appropriate for finding the final velocity. The final velocity after 2 seconds is
rfurtado

Homework Statement

A 7000. kg plane is launched from a aicraft carrier in 2.0 sec. by a force of 350,000 N.

a) What is the plane's acceleration?
b)What is the plane's velocity after the two seconds?

Homework Equations

A=f/m => A=350,000/7000 = 50 m/s2

The Attempt at a Solution

The main question is: How am I supposed to find the velocity if they don't give me the distance? and how do I find the distance if I still not knowing the velocity?

*I figured that a Aircraft Carrier is 500m (distance) then I made the formula for velocity, but I don't know if I am doing the right way*
(final result were v=200 m/s)

Physics news on Phys.org
rfurtado said:

Homework Statement

A 7000. kg plane is launched from a aicraft carrier in 2.0 sec. by a force of 350,000 N.

a) What is the plane's acceleration?
b)What is the plane's velocity after the two seconds?

Homework Equations

A=f/m => A=350,000/7000 = 50 m/s2

The Attempt at a Solution

The main question is: How am I supposed to find the velocity if they don't give me the distance? and how do I find the distance if I still not knowing the velocity?

*I figured that a Aircraft Carrier is 500m (distance) then I made the formula for velocity, but I don't know if I am doing the right way*
(final result were v=200 m/s)
you don't need to know the distance, you can get the velocity from another kinematic equation that relates velocity with acceleartion and time. You didn't do it right, you should show how you arrived at that v=200m/s figure or d =500m value, both of which are not correct.

I think another relevant equation is missing and that is:

a=vf-vi/t

where a is acceleration
vf is final velocity (in this case the velocity after the time allotted)
vi is initial velocity
t is time

1. What is the formula for calculating force and mass?

The formula for calculating force and mass is F = m*a, where F represents force, m represents mass, and a represents acceleration.

2. How are force and mass related?

Force and mass are directly proportional to each other. This means that as mass increases, so does force, and as mass decreases, so does force.

3. What is the difference between mass and weight?

Mass is the amount of matter in an object, while weight is the measurement of the force of gravity acting on an object. Mass is constant, while weight can change depending on the gravitational pull of a particular location.

4. How does force affect the motion of an object?

According to Newton's second law of motion, force causes a change in an object's velocity, either by increasing or decreasing its speed or changing its direction of motion.

5. What are some real-life applications of force and mass?

Some real-life applications of force and mass include the motion of vehicles, the function of levers and pulleys, and the calculation of thrust in rocket engines. Force and mass are also important concepts in sports, such as in the propulsion of a soccer ball or the swing of a golf club.