1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Force and moment question on a sphear

1. Apr 13, 2006 #1
    http://img457.imageshack.us/img457/7227/problem8sp.png

If a ball is affected by a force P OR a moment M, what will this force or moment have to be in order to make the ball roll over the edge.

My initial guess is that the force [tex]F\cos a[/tex] has to equal (or be greater?) mg, where m is the mass of the ball. Now I need some help in order to figure this out. Will the force P equal the force F or will it equal [tex]F\sin a[/tex]? My guess is also that the force F is pointing towards the center of the ball. This should make it easy to calculate the angle a since if we draw a triangle from the center of the circle to the edge of that "stair" we will have a height of (r-h) and the hypotenuse will be r (r equals the radius).

Also I could need an extra help with getting the same result through the moment. I know I could turn the moment into a force but then the force would be pointing down (or up, depending on the distance).

Greatly thankful for any support you could provide.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted