How Do You Calculate the Coefficient of Kinetic Friction for a Rolling Ball?

• Thread starter ljhao1992
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Force
In summary, the conversation is about finding the coefficient of kinetic friction between a ball rolling on a rough horizontal surface, with a given deceleration of 2m/s(square). However, there is no information provided about the mass of the ball, which is necessary to calculate kinetic friction. The equation f(k) = u(k)N is mentioned, but without the mass, it cannot be solved. The person asking for help attempts to use g = 10ms(-2 square) as the gravitational acceleration, but it is unclear how this relates to the problem. Ultimately, more data is needed to solve the problem accurately.
ljhao1992

Homework Statement

A ball is rolling on a rough horizontal surface with a deceleration of 2m/s(square). Find the coefficient of kinetic friction between the ball and the surface?

Homework Equations

f(k) = u(k)N

The Attempt at a Solution

u(k) = fk/N
i use 2/10
my answer is 0.2

i think my answer is wrong. help me!

Physics news on Phys.org
Please supply all known data, i.e. Mass of the ball?

There are no mass. I am stuck with this qn. I have no idea how to start

You cannot calculate kinetic friction without mass.

it dun have mass for this qn. How? Can i able to use w = mg

Does it tell you the normal force? From where are you getting the 10?

No. It didn't tell me the normal force. I use g = 10ms(-2 square) g is the gravitational acceleration

I am at a loss, it seems you need more data, because without the mass of the ball you don't know the force of friction or the normal force, which are both required to find the coefficient of friction, as far as I know

1. What is force?

Force is a physical quantity that describes the interaction between two objects. It can cause an object to accelerate, decelerate, or change direction.

2. What is motion?

Motion is the change in position of an object over time. It can be described by its speed, direction, and acceleration.

3. What is Newton's first law of motion?

Newton's first law of motion, also known as the law of inertia, states that an object will remain at rest or in a state of constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force.

4. What is the difference between weight and mass?

Weight is a measure of the force of gravity acting on an object, while mass is a measure of the amount of matter an object contains.

5. How do forces affect motion?

Forces can cause an object to change its speed, direction, or shape. They can also cause an object to come to a stop or start moving. The net force acting on an object determines its acceleration, or change in motion.