1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Force and motion in Newton's laws

1. Sep 28, 2011 #1
    An elevator cab and its load have a combined mass of 1600 kg. Find the tension in the supporting cable when the cab, originally moving downward at 12 m/s, is brought to rest with constant acceleration in a distance of 42m.

Taking downwards as positive
    My solution:
    F net = mg - T = ma
    T = m(g - a) (1)

V^2 - Vi^2 = 2a (y - yi)
    a = (-12)^2 / 2(42) = -1.7 m/s^2

(1) -----> T = m (g - a) = 1600 (9.8 + 1.7) = 18400 N

Did I do it right ? cuz my friend got the different answer from me, he basically got T = m (g + a).......

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 28, 2011 #2

PeterO

Homework Helper

I have seen T = m(g + a) commonly used when the question is find the "magnitude of the force on the lift". In that case, the fact that g is down and a is up, so one of them should be negative, is sort of ignored because we expect that the two magnitudes are simply added - giving the same answer as yours.

Analysis of a ferris wheel is often written reaction force at top = mg - Fc and reaction force at bottom = mg + Fc.
    This is an implication that we are talking magnitudes only.

Note that in your line of working that I coloured red, you have a - sign suddenly appearing on the right. Perhaps you just forgot to type is before the 42? ie distance travelled was -42 since the lift was travelling down.

4. Sep 28, 2011 #3
    Thanks, it should be like this

V^2 - Vi^2 = 2a (y - yi)
    sice V = 0, so we have
    - Vi^2 = 2a (y - yi)
    a = -(Vi^2) / 2(y - yi)
    a = -(12^2) / 2(42) since am taking downwards as positive, so y > yi.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook