1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Force and Motion PLEASE HELP!

1. Oct 27, 2008 #1
    1. THE PROBLEM: A 9 kg monkey climbs up a massless rope that runs over a frictionless tree limb and back down to a 21 kg package on the ground (Fig. 5-54).

Figure 5-54.

(a) What is the magnitude of the least acceleration the monkey must have in order to lift the package off the ground?
    m/s2

Assume that after the package has been lifted, the monkey stops its climb and holds onto the rope.

(b) What is the monkey's acceleration?
    m/s2
    (c) What is the tension in the rope?
    N

2.) MY ATTEMPTS: I figured that in order for the monkey to be able to lift the crate its acceleration should be proportional to where the monkey and crate had the same force.
    F=ma=m(Monkey(9))(a)=m(Crate(21))(9.8)
    a=22.876 m/s^2.........according to web assign im wrong! I can solve the other parts of the problem if I knew how to find the first acceleration
    PLEASE HELP :)

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 27, 2008 #2

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

(a) To start, I would calculate what the rope tension must be in order to just start lifting the package.

4. Oct 27, 2008 #3
    How would i calculate that? F=ma but the only a i see given is gravity?

5. Oct 28, 2008 #4

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Well, to put it another way: what would be the force required to lift anything off of the ground?

6. Oct 28, 2008 #5
    F = ma is key. And there IS another a apart from gravity. Hmmm, what could be accelerating in the problem?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?