Maximizing Banked Turn Angle for Runner on Track

In summary, a runner is running on a banked turn with a radius of 30 meters and a speed of 10 m/s. The coefficient of static friction between the runner's shoes and the track is .71. To find the maximum banking angle, the equations F = m(V^2/R) and Fs-max = µs*Fn must be used, taking into account both the horizontal and vertical components of the normal and friction forces. Using these equations, the maximum angle is calculated to be approximately 33.7 degrees.
mvs1c

Homework Statement

A runner is running on the banked turn of a track. The radius of the turn is 30 meters. The speed of the runner is 10 m/s. The coefficient of static friction between the runner's shoes and the track is .71. What is the maximum banking angle that will still allow the runner to run through the turn?

µf : .71
speed of runner : 10 m/s
radius of the turn: 30 m

Choices of answers:
33.7 degrees

Homework Equations

F = m(V^2/R)
Fs-max = µs*Fn
Fn= normal force

The Attempt at a Solution

I haven't had much luck. My professor has covered a few example problems that were similar, but they had negligible friction or a different angle set up.

I did try taking µs*Fn*sinθ = m(-v^2/R) and dividing it by Fncosθ = mg
resulting in tan θ = -V^2*µs/(g*R), which is equivalent to tan θ = -100^2*.71/(30*9.81)
but that resulted in an angle of 13.56 degrees, which isn't even on the answer choices.
I would appreciate any help you can give =)

Physics news on Phys.org
mvs1c said:
I did try taking µs*Fn*sinθ = m(-v^2/R) and dividing it by Fncosθ = mg

the first equation isn't valid because you forgot the horizontal component of the normal force.

the second equation isn't valid because you forgot the vertical component of the friction force.

in one of the solved problems, they approached it with a radial calculation, which was the first I used, and a vertical calculation, which was the second.

Could you possibly clarify a bit more so I understand how I can fix it?

Both the normal force and the friction force have horizontal and vertical components.

The vertical components of the friction force and the normal force have to balance gravity.
The horizontal components of these forces have to produce the acceleration.
The maximum angle is the angle that the runner nearly slips down. The friction force will be pointed along the slope and upwards.
What you tried to do was valid except for forgetting those components. You'll get a much more complicated expression for tan(theta). It will be really easy to make a sign error here.

1. What is the difference between force and motion?

Force is a push or pull on an object that can cause it to accelerate or deform. Motion, on the other hand, is the movement of an object from one position to another.

2. How do you calculate force?

Force is calculated by multiplying mass and acceleration. The equation is F=ma, where F is force in Newtons, m is mass in kilograms, and a is acceleration in meters per second squared.

3. What is the relationship between force and motion?

Force and motion are directly related. The greater the force applied to an object, the greater the acceleration and change in motion of the object will be. This is described by Newton's Second Law of Motion.

4. How does friction affect force and motion?

Friction is a force that opposes motion, making it harder for objects to move. It can decrease the speed and change the direction of motion. The amount of friction depends on the surface and the force pressing the surfaces together.

5. What are some examples of force and motion in everyday life?

Examples of force and motion in everyday life include throwing a ball, riding a bike, and pushing a door open. In all of these examples, force is applied to an object to make it move. Other examples include gravity pulling objects towards the ground and the force of a car's engine moving the car forward.