1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Force and Motion Question

1. Sep 24, 2009 #1
    I keep getting the wrong answers for these two questions no matter what way i seem to structure it.
    1. Only two horizontal forces act on a 3.0 kg body that can move over a frictionless floor. One force is 9.0 N, acting due east, and the other is 8.0 N, acting 62` north of west.What is the magnitude of the body's acceleration?

If follow the guideline example in my book this is how i try to answer it.
    [tex] F = m a \Rightarrow F_1 - F_2 = m a [/tex]

[tex] 9 - 8 \cos 62 = (3) a \Rightarrow \frac {9 - 3.75}{3} = a [/tex]

[tex] \frac {5.2}{3} = a \Rightarrow 1.733... = a [/tex]

But my book says the answer is [tex] 2.9[/tex], what am I missing?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 24, 2009 #2

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The resultant force has a component to north, too, and you need to calculate the magnitude of the total force. Moreover, I do not know what does 62´ north of west mean.

ehild

4. Sep 24, 2009 #3
    From the question I assumed you only had to take the horizontal motion;
    And I tried (to the best of my ability) using separate [tex]x_i[/tex] and [tex] y_j[/tex] coordinates and failed. I can't get that elusive [tex] 2.9 [/tex]
    This would mean what? To take [tex] |a| \sqrt(x^2 i+ y^2 j ) [/tex] accelerations?

62 Degrees North of the west axis. I assume it's like 118 degrees counterclockwise from [tex] 1,0[/tex] on a unit circle,

5. Sep 24, 2009 #4

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You either go to west or north, you move horizontally still you stay on the floor and do not rise up, or sink down...

You have got the x component of the acceleration, using the x component of the north-west force. What is the y (north) component of this force?

And yes, you have to use the magnitude (absolute value) of the acceleration at the end, sqrt(ax2+ay2) .

ehild

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook