What is the magnitude of the body's acceleration?

In summary, the person is having trouble finding the magnitude of the acceleration for a 3.0 kg body that is being acted upon by two horizontal forces (9.0 N to the east and 8.0 N at 62 degrees north of west) on a frictionless floor. They attempted to solve it using guidelines from their book but got a different answer than what the book states. The expert suggests that the person also needs to consider the north component of the force and calculate the total force's magnitude. The term "62´ north of west" means 62 degrees north of the west axis. The person also needs to use the magnitude of the acceleration, sqrt(ax2+ay2), at the end of their calculations.
sponsoredwalk
I keep getting the wrong answers for these two questions no matter what way i seem to structure it.
1. Only two horizontal forces act on a 3.0 kg body that can move over a frictionless floor. One force is 9.0 N, acting due east, and the other is 8.0 N, acting 62` north of west.What is the magnitude of the body's acceleration?

If follow the guideline example in my book this is how i try to answer it.
[tex] F = m a \Rightarrow F_1 - F_2 = m a [/tex]

[tex] 9 - 8 \cos 62 = (3) a \Rightarrow \frac {9 - 3.75}{3} = a [/tex]

[tex] \frac {5.2}{3} = a \Rightarrow 1.733... = a [/tex]

But my book says the answer is [tex] 2.9[/tex], what am I missing?

Physics news on Phys.org
The resultant force has a component to north, too, and you need to calculate the magnitude of the total force. Moreover, I do not know what does 62´ north of west mean.

ehild

The resultant force has a component to north, too,
From the question I assumed you only had to take the horizontal motion;
Only two horizontal forces act on a 3.0 kg body
And I tried (to the best of my ability) using separate [tex]x_i[/tex] and [tex] y_j[/tex] coordinates and failed. I can't get that elusive [tex] 2.9 [/tex]
and you need to calculate the magnitude of the total force.
This would mean what? To take [tex] |a| \sqrt(x^2 i+ y^2 j ) [/tex] accelerations?

what does 62´ north of west mean.

62 Degrees North of the west axis. I assume it's like 118 degrees counterclockwise from [tex] 1,0[/tex] on a unit circle,

You either go to west or north, you move horizontally still you stay on the floor and do not rise up, or sink down...

You have got the x component of the acceleration, using the x component of the north-west force. What is the y (north) component of this force?

And yes, you have to use the magnitude (absolute value) of the acceleration at the end, sqrt(ax2+ay2) .

ehild

1. What is acceleration and how is it measured?

Acceleration is the rate of change of an object's velocity over time. It is measured in meters per second squared (m/s^2) and can be calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the time interval.

2. How is the magnitude of acceleration different from its direction?

The magnitude of acceleration refers to the size or amount of acceleration, while the direction of acceleration specifies the path or orientation of the change in velocity.

3. How does the body's acceleration affect its motion?

The body's acceleration determines the rate at which its velocity changes. A higher magnitude of acceleration will result in a larger change in velocity over a given time, leading to more rapid or vigorous motion.

4. What factors can affect the magnitude of the body's acceleration?

The magnitude of the body's acceleration can be affected by the amount of force applied to the body, the mass of the body, and the medium through which the body is moving (such as air or water).

5. How does the magnitude of acceleration relate to the body's mass?

The magnitude of acceleration is inversely proportional to the body's mass. This means that a larger mass will experience a smaller acceleration for the same amount of force, while a smaller mass will experience a larger acceleration for the same amount of force.