1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Force and Motion

1. Oct 20, 2009 #1
    A 53 kg skier skis directly down a frictionless slope angled at 15° to the horizontal. Choose the positive direction of the x axis to be downhill along the slope. A wind force with component Fx acts on the skier. What is Fx if the magnitude of the skier's velocity is (a) constant, (b) increasing at a rate of 1.5 m/s2, and (c) increasing at a rate of 3.0 m/s.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 20, 2009 #2
    give us the atempt at the sulution then we can try to help u

4. Oct 20, 2009 #3
    i did it and got
    a: 137.17 n
    b: 57.5 n
    c: -22n

but im pretty sure they're wrong:P

5. Oct 20, 2009 #4
    with wich formula

did u do this with the one of potencial energy

6. Oct 20, 2009 #5
    sigma Fext= M.a newton's second law i think:P .. and u place the forces.. that's how i did it.

7. Oct 20, 2009 #6
    so u did this with the second law of newton f=m x a

8. Oct 20, 2009 #7
    yes|-) .. now can someone help me please^o)?

9. Oct 20, 2009 #8
    There are two forces, the force of the wind and his weight (only in the c-direction, down the ramp).

a) Constant velocity means that there is no acceleration and the net force is zero.

b/c) He is accelerating down the hill which means that there is a net force.

Draw an fbd then you can create an equation for a/b/c based on the parameters.

10. Oct 20, 2009 #9
    u did just the forces but how about the angel thats ur failur a

11. Oct 20, 2009 #10
    nah he did that with the f=ma parameters but u need to put the angel so if it is like u say it will go like this f=ma=53kg x o m/s2 and then he would have o N and u would do 2 and 3 like this

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook