Calculating Acceleration and Time for a Freight Train to Reach 83.4 km/hr

In summary: Given the initial velocity was zero, it will take 455.6 seconds for the train to reach a speed of 83.4 km/hr. In summary, the question asks for the time it takes for a freight train with a mass of 1.20E+7 kg to increase its speed from rest to 83.4 km/hr with a constant pull of 6.10E+5 N. The correct method is to use the formula F=ma to find acceleration, and then use the formula v=vo+at to find the time. The answer is 455.6 seconds. Unit conversion may cause errors, so it is important to double check them.
Lilly
Force and Motion...

hi
could someone please tell me where i am going wrong with this question:
A freight train has a mass of 1.20E+7 kg. If the locomotive can exert a constant pull of 6.10E+5 N, how long does it take to increase the speed of the train from rest to 83.4 km/hr?
i tried to find accelertion by using F=ma, and i keep getting 0.05833...then i put it into the equation v=vo+at, but my answers never turn out right. i think maybe unit conversion is where I'm going wrong...but I'm not sure.
help would be appreciated...
thanks, lilly

Physics news on Phys.org
Lilly said:
i tried to find accelertion by using F=ma, and i keep getting 0.05833...
Right method. I assume that's a typo, since I get 0.050833 m/s^2.
then i put it into the equation v=vo+at, but my answers never turn out right. i think maybe unit conversion is where I'm going wrong...but I'm not sure.
Sounds good to me. If you aren't sure of your conversion, show how you did it.

I think this would help

My Acceleration is 0.0508333
83.4 KM/Hr = 83.4 * 5/18 m/sec = 23.16 m/sec which is the final velocity.
So according to the formula you used, u = uo + at my value for t turns out to be 23.16/0.0508333 = 455.6 seconds.

What is force?

Force is a push or pull that can cause an object to accelerate or change its motion.

What is motion?

Motion is the change in position of an object over time.

What is Newton's First Law of Motion?

Newton's First Law of Motion states that an object at rest will remain at rest, and an object in motion will remain in motion at a constant velocity, unless acted upon by an external force.

What is Newton's Second Law of Motion?

Newton's Second Law of Motion states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on the object and inversely proportional to its mass.

What is Newton's Third Law of Motion?

Newton's Third Law of Motion states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. This means that when a force is applied to an object, the object will apply an equal and opposite force back.