1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Force and Motion

1. Feb 18, 2005 #1
    A circular curve of highway is designed for traffic moving at 60km/h. Assume the traffic consists of cars without negative lift. (a). If the radius of the curve is 150m, what is the correct angle of banking of the road? (b) If the curve were not banked, what would be the minimum coefficient of friction between tires and road that would keep traffic from skidding out of the turn when traveling at 60km/h?.............for part (a). i used tan-1 (v2)/(gR).......i got v= 16.6m/s.......g=9.8m/s2.......R=150m........answer i got 11 degrees........what equation would i use for part (b)........ :confused:
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 18, 2005 #2
    iam thinking for part (b) i would use tan(11)= .1944 for the friction....am i doing this correctly.....??????
  4. Feb 19, 2005 #3

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?