1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Force and Newton law of Motion

1. Sep 23, 2006 #1
    hi there i have a question in which i can't get the answer i will show my work on what i did, if anybody can help , that would help alot .

here is the question:

only two forces act on an object (mass= 3kg)

a=60N is at 45 degrees above the horizon
    y= ?
    find the magnitude and direction (relative to the x-axis) of the acceleration of the object?

i can use (a=60N)sin(45)= 42.42degrees, but where do i go from here, or whats the next step, i did try squaring y+x under the square root, but thats not the magnitude, because the answer in teh back of the book is different.

any help is welcome thanks:smile:
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 23, 2006 #2
    Ok first of all the 42.42 value wont be in degrees, it will be in newtons. Secondly, draw a diagram, it always helps.

In order to help you more i need to know which direction the x force is in. so draw up what you think is happeneing and then attach it.

In essence you are just resolving vector components of a force, and need to draw a few triangles and stuff to find the resultant
  4. Sep 24, 2006 #3

Homework Helper

Newton's second law can be applied in component form:

[tex]\Sigma F_x = ma_x[/tex]

that is

[tex]a_x = \frac{\Sigma F_x}{m}[/tex]

so to get the acceleration in the x-direction you need to add the force components acting on the object in the x-direction and divide that by its mass.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?