1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Force and potential energy

1. Dec 19, 2006 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A conservative force F(x) = bx + a acts on a 2.61 kg particle, where x is in meters, b = 6.3 N/m, and a = 4 N. Calculate the change in potential energy of the particle as it moves along the x-axis from x1 = .749 m to x2 = 4.81 m.

2. Relevant equations

work-energy theorem, PE = mgh

3. The attempt at a solution

My first thought was simply 0, since it was going along the x-axis and therefore no change in PEg and no springs or such, but that was wrong. I solved that the work done by the force = 87.3556 J. I also solved initial kinetic energy if the final speed was 16.8 m/s, which was 280.9676. KEi + W = KEf. Where does the potential fall in?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 19, 2006 #2

radou

Homework Helper

For a conservative force, what is the relation between the force and its potential?

4. Dec 19, 2006 #3
    I remember doing potential energy diagrams...and force is the negative derivative of one. So potential is the integral of force? That's what I did to determine the total work done, though.

5. Dec 19, 2006 #4

radou

Homework Helper

Right, that's all you have to do. Find the potential and calculate the change.

6. Dec 19, 2006 #5
    So it is the same as the work done?

7. Dec 19, 2006 #6

radou

Homework Helper

Yes, it is.

8. Dec 19, 2006 #7
    Ack, but negative. Got it now.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?