1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Force and potential

1. Dec 7, 2006 #1
    Just studying for an exam and the following question appeared on the sample exam:
    Given the force: [tex]F=-c(x-y)^2(\hat{i}-\hat{j})[/tex] where i and j are the unit vectors.
    a) Show the force is conservative
    b) Show the potential energy is given by [tex]V(x,y) = \frac{c}{3(x-y)^3)}[/tex] assuming V(0,0) =0.

So for a) it is simple to show using the curl of F. but for b i am not sure how to get the potential energy function given the force. [tex]F=-\nabla V[/tex] will give the force easily if i have the potential function, but im not sure how to go the other direction. perhaps for the exam to show it i could just take the negative gradient, (which appears to be wrong for the potential given in this question) but i would like to just know how to go the other way for knowledge. thanks

Last edited: Dec 7, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 7, 2006 #2
    if a field is conservative, then the work done against the field on a object from point a to point b is conserved and equals to the change in potential. Well, basically, if you know the work done alone a path, you know the potential function.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?