1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Force and static friction

1. Mar 19, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Block b with mass 5kg rests on block a with mass 8kg which in turn is on a horizontal tabletop. there is no friction between block a and the table top but the coefficient of static friction between block a and b is 0.75.A light string attached to block a passes over a frictionless pulley and c is suspended from the other end. what is the largest mass the block c can have so that a and b still slide together when the system is released from rest

2. Relevant equations

w=mg
    fs=usmg
    f=ma

3. The attempt at a solution
    I figured i needed to work out what force is required to move a and b together

w=mg
    w=(5+8)x9.8
    =127.4N

I then worked out the static force
    fs=usmg
    = 0.75x5x9.8
    =36.75

I then decided that this was the maximum force that the two blocks could be moved with

There for for c we know acceleration = 9.8
    F=ma
    36.75=mx9.8

m=3.75kg

im not sure if this is right as i dont think my logic makes much sense
    any help would be much appreciated thank you very much

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 19, 2009 #2
    That is where you've gone wrong. If there is a net acceleration, surely the block B would slide over A, right?

4. Mar 19, 2009 #3
    sorry im not sure then how to correct my error
    any hints would be greatly appreciated thanks
    i am so totally confused with this whole topic

5. Mar 19, 2009 #4
    What you've been asked to find out, is the max. value of m so that the system is still in equilibrium.
    What is the max. static frictional force acting on B?

6. Mar 19, 2009 #5
    i thought the max static force was 36.75N as calculated in the above post
    but then how do i calculate the mass of block c if you do not no the acceleration.
    sorry i must seem so dumb

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook