What Is the Maximum Mass of Block C to Keep Blocks A and B Sliding Together?

In summary, the block with mass c can be moved with the maximum force, but only if there is a net acceleration.
e_burke

Homework Statement

Block b with mass 5kg rests on block a with mass 8kg which in turn is on a horizontal tabletop. there is no friction between block a and the table top but the coefficient of static friction between block a and b is 0.75.A light string attached to block a passes over a frictionless pulley and c is suspended from the other end. what is the largest mass the block c can have so that a and b still slide together when the system is released from rest

Homework Equations

w=mg
fs=usmg
f=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

I figured i needed to work out what force is required to move a and b together

w=mg
w=(5+8)x9.8
=127.4N

I then worked out the static force
fs=usmg
= 0.75x5x9.8
=36.75

I then decided that this was the maximum force that the two blocks could be moved with

There for for c we know acceleration = 9.8
F=ma
36.75=mx9.8

m=3.75kg

im not sure if this is right as i don't think my logic makes much sense
any help would be much appreciated thank you very much

Physics news on Phys.org
I then decided that this was the maximum force that the two blocks could be moved with

There for for c we know acceleration = 9.8
F=ma

That is where you've gone wrong. If there is a net acceleration, surely the block B would slide over A, right?

sorry I am not sure then how to correct my error
any hints would be greatly appreciated thanks
i am so totally confused with this whole topic

What you've been asked to find out, is the max. value of m so that the system is still in equilibrium.
What is the max. static frictional force acting on B?

i thought the max static force was 36.75N as calculated in the above post
but then how do i calculate the mass of block c if you do not no the acceleration.
sorry i must seem so dumb

1. What is force?

Force is a physical quantity that can cause an object to accelerate or change its state of motion. It is measured in Newtons (N) and is represented by a vector with both magnitude and direction.

2. What is static friction?

Static friction is the force that opposes the motion of an object when it is at rest. It acts in the opposite direction of the applied force and prevents the object from moving.

3. How is static friction different from kinetic friction?

Static friction only occurs when an object is at rest, while kinetic friction occurs when the object is in motion. Additionally, the magnitude of static friction is usually greater than that of kinetic friction.

4. What factors affect the amount of static friction?

The amount of static friction depends on the coefficient of static friction, which is a property of the two surfaces in contact, and the normal force, which is the force perpendicular to the surface.

5. How can static friction be calculated?

Static friction can be calculated by multiplying the coefficient of static friction by the normal force. If the applied force is less than or equal to the calculated static friction, the object will remain at rest. If the applied force exceeds the calculated static friction, the object will begin to move.