1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Force and Velocity

1. Oct 27, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A 1 meter long hose of 8 cm diameter is conneted to a faucet. The end of this hose is connected to a second hose which is 4 meters long and 4 cm in diameter. At the open end of the second hose water flows out at a rate of 8 cm cubed/s.

What is the ratio of the speed of the water flowing in the second hose to the speed of the water flowing in the first hose?

2. Relevant equations

P = F/A Not sure what other equations I could be using!

3. The attempt at a solution

At first I assumed v1/A1 = v2/A2, so (8 cm cubed/s)/(4pi) = (x)/(16pi), and thus the answer ought to be 1/4, but that is incorrect. I also tried to use squares, since I reasoned that a = (v^2)/r, but this gave me the equally incorrect ratio of 1/8. Help!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 27, 2009 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Welcome to PF!

Hi FauxNews! Welcome to PF! :wink:
    hmm … so you think velocity is proportional to area?

why? :smile:

4. Oct 27, 2009 #3
    Thank you for the welcome!

Well, I know that F1/A1 = F2/A2...correct? But I suppose that would not hold true for velocity, now that I think about it! I'm completely confused. :(

5. Oct 27, 2009 #4
    tiny-tim's question is a hint to guide you on your way. The fact that A1v1 = A2v2 is only true because of the way the rate of flow of a fluid "works."

So, go back and figure out why A1v1 = A2v2, and see if that helps you find the solution.

Good luck!

6. Oct 28, 2009 #5

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi FauxNews! :smile:

(just got up :zzz: …)

Hint: conservation of mass. :wink:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook