1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Force applied to folcrum

1. Mar 15, 2009 #1
    I am trying to install a small crane to lift my disabled uncle into a boat. The crane is 41 inches high and the boom is 60 inches long. My uncle's weight is 250 pounds. What is the force that will be placed on the base of the crane. This answer will allow me to decide if I can mount the crane on the side or top of the fiberglass boat. Thank You

Last edited: Mar 15, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 15, 2009 #2
    Your question is stated in terms of a fulcrum which makes it sound like a lever question, but then you asked about a crane on a boat. All in all this is not very clear.

To make it a bit more unclear, unless the boat is very large abeam, when you begin to lift your uncle, by whatever means, the boat will begin to roll changing the geometry and making the problem all the more complicated.

May I suggest mounting the crane on the pier?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook