Calculate Force to Elongate Steel Bar

In summary, to produce an elongation of .016in in a steel bar measuring 1in square and 2ft long, a force of 86KN or 19,333lb must be applied. The correct calculation involves converting Young's modulus from psi to Pa or Nm-2.
raiderUM

Homework Statement

What Force must be applied to a steel bar, 1in [25.4mm] square and 2ft [610mm] long, to produce an elongation of .016in. [.4064mm]?

Homework Equations

L=610mm
ΔL=.4064mm
E=29,000,000

The Attempt at a Solution

What I know is:

E=Stress/Strain

Strain=.4064/610 = 6.66*10^-4

Stress=F/A
Stress=19329.65

Physics news on Phys.org
I am not getting the correct answer for FORCE. F=stress(Area) Am I messing up the Area some how?? The answer is suppose to be 86KN of Force or 19,333lb

Hi raiderUM. What are the units for Young's modulus that you are using. From your numerical answers you're using SI units. But, E=29x106 is small for steel, it should be about 103 to 104 times as large as that number. This would give you the same approximately the same error from what you had.

Sleepy_time said:
Hi raiderUM. What are the units for Young's modulus that you are using. From your numerical answers you're using SI units. But, E=29x106 is small for steel, it should be about 103 to 104 times as large as that number. This would give you the same approximately the same error from what you had.

The units of the Young's modulus that the OP used were psi. He already has the right answer (aside from roundoff).

Chet

Ok, that's the reason. You need to convert it into Pa or Nm-2. On wikipedia it says that for steel [itex]E=200\times10^9 Nm^{-2}[/itex]. This will give you the answer that you need.

1. What is the equation for calculating force to elongate a steel bar?

The equation for calculating force to elongate a steel bar is F = AEΔL/L, where F is the force, A is the cross-sectional area of the bar, E is the modulus of elasticity, ΔL is the change in length, and L is the original length of the bar.

2. How do I determine the cross-sectional area of a steel bar?

The cross-sectional area of a steel bar can be determined by measuring the diameter of the bar and using the formula A = πr², where A is the area and r is the radius (half the diameter) of the bar.

3. What is the modulus of elasticity for steel?

The modulus of elasticity for steel varies depending on the grade and type of steel, but it is typically between 200 and 215 GPa (Gigapascals).

4. How do I measure the change in length of a steel bar?

The change in length of a steel bar can be measured using a ruler or caliper before and after applying a force to the bar. The difference in length between the two measurements is the change in length (ΔL).

5. What are some factors that can affect the force required to elongate a steel bar?

The force required to elongate a steel bar can be affected by factors such as the type and grade of steel, the cross-sectional area of the bar, the original length of the bar, and the temperature at which the force is applied. Other factors such as the presence of any defects or impurities in the steel may also affect the force required.