1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Force at downward angle

1. Oct 4, 2006 #1
    A box of books weighing 320 N is shoved across the floor of an apartment by a force of 430 N exerted downward at an angle of 35.6° below the horizontal. If the coefficient of kinetic friction between box and floor is 0.57, how long does it take to move the box 3.90 m, starting from rest?

I found n to be 260.19 but now i don't know where to go with it. What formula should I use? I can't find one that includes time.
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 4, 2006 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

What is "n" and how did you find this?

Hint: To calculate the normal force you must include all vertical forces acting on the books.
  4. Oct 4, 2006 #3
    I personally am having trouble with this exact same question only with different numbers.
    I have found so far, the equations:

m*a[x] = F[applied]*cos(Θ) - force of friction.
    m*a[y] = F[normal] - F[gravity] - F[applied]*sin(Θ)

m*a = F[applied]*cos(Θ) - mu *(m*g + F[applied]*sin(Θ))

However I continually get the wrong answer no matter how I go about it and have no clue what I'm doing wrong, or even if those equations are right.

Any help would also be appriciated by me, greatly.
  5. Oct 5, 2006 #4

Homework Helper

Stonie, your equations are all correct so post the calculation.
  6. Oct 8, 2006 #5
    I solved those equations but I still don't understand how to find time from them. Help please?
  7. Oct 9, 2006 #6

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Once you've solved for the acceleration, it becomes a kinematics problem.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?