Testing My Work on Math Problem

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a rope tension and buoyancy force. The approach suggested by one person is deemed correct, although the terminology used in the problem is questioned. The conversation also mentions a 20.9 N tension force that is required to keep the object from sinking.
Jason03
I am checking to see if my thought process is correct for the problem below along with my work.

http://i674.photobucket.com/albums/vv106/jason03_2009/probb.jpg

http://i674.photobucket.com/albums/vv106/jason03_2009/page111.jpg

http://i674.photobucket.com/albums/vv106/jason03_2009/page22.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I didn't check all your numbers, but your approach looks good. The rope tension plus the bouyancy force must equal the weight. I don't know why the problem calls the 20.9 N tension force as "F_net". The net force on the crown is zero. 20.9 N is the applied force required to keep the obect from sinking.

it is important to always test and verify our thought processes and work. It appears that you have correctly identified the given information and set up the problem correctly. Your calculations and solution also seem to be accurate. However, to fully verify your work, it would be beneficial to check your answer using an alternative method or by plugging in the solution to the original equation. This will help to ensure that there are no errors in your calculations. Additionally, it is important to clearly label your work and show all steps to make it easier for others to follow and understand your thought process. Overall, it seems that you have approached the problem correctly and your solution is likely to be correct. Keep up the good work!

1. How do you know if your math problem is correct?

The most common method of testing the accuracy of a math problem is by solving it using different methods or approaches. You can also check your answer using a calculator or by plugging in the values into the original equation.

2. Can you explain the steps you took to solve the problem?

Yes, I can walk you through my problem-solving process step by step. It is important to understand the logic behind the steps in order to fully comprehend and verify the solution.

3. What do I do if I keep getting a different answer?

If you keep getting a different answer, it is possible that there is a mistake in your calculation or that you have missed a step. Double check your work and make sure you haven't made any errors. If you are still getting a different answer, try using a different method or asking for assistance from a teacher or tutor.

4. How do I know if I am using the correct formula for the problem?

Make sure to carefully read and understand the given problem before attempting to solve it. If you are unsure about which formula to use, you can refer to your textbook or ask a teacher for guidance.

5. Can I use a calculator to test my work?

While using a calculator can be helpful in quickly checking your answer, it is important to also show your work and understand the steps involved in solving the problem. Relying solely on a calculator may hinder your understanding and ability to solve similar problems in the future.