Accel of Crate Pushed at 30° Below Horizon

In summary, to find the acceleration of a crate being pushed by a force at an angle below the horizon, you can use the equation Fx/y = ma = sum of all force vectors, where Fk = ukN. It's important to keep track of the direction of the forces and use vector addition to find the net force acting on the crate.
jwxie

Homework Statement

Find the acceleration of the crate when it is pushed by the same force at an angle of 30 degree below the horizon.

Given mass = 2.0kg Applied Force = 10 N, and uk = 0.047

Homework Equations

Fx/y = ma = sum of all force vectors
Fk = ukN

The Attempt at a Solution

So I did a free body diagram. Here is my attempt

<Fx = ma
<Fy = 0

Fx = ma = Fcos(-30) * Fk
Fy = 0 = Fsin(-30)+N-mg

Is that it? Anything tricky?

I just want to make sure all my setups are correct.

Physics news on Phys.org
That's right, but to prevent confusing yourself, you might want to express everything in terms of magnitudes. So ma=Fcos(30)*Fk: the magnitude of ma is equal to the magnitude of Fcos(-30)*Fk. N=mg+Fsin(30), because the ground pushes up against both gravity and the y component of the force F. I find that this approach is much more intuitive than using Fcos(-30) and Fsin(-30).

EDIT: Oops, that's not right. You forgot to account for the contribution of gravity to the normal force.

jwxie said:

Homework Statement

Find the acceleration of the crate when it is pushed by the same force at an angle of 30 degree below the horizon.

Given mass = 2.0kg Applied Force = 10 N, and uk = 0.047

Homework Equations

Fx/y = ma = sum of all force vectors
Fk = ukN

The Attempt at a Solution

So I did a free body diagram. Here is my attempt

<Fx = ma
<Fy = 0

Fx = ma = Fcos(-30) * Fk
Fy = 0 = Fsin(-30)+N-mg

Is that it? Anything tricky?

I just want to make sure all my setups are correct.
Why are you multiplying the x-component of the applied force by the force of friction?

ideasrule said:
EDIT: Oops, that's not right. You forgot to account for the contribution of gravity to the normal force.
jwxie said:
Fy = 0 = Fsin(-30)+N-mg
didn't he do that here?

yeah that was a typo. it was suppose to be minus
Fx = F - Fk
and Fk also has x, y components, which is along the x axis

Last edited:
jwxie said:
yeah that was a typo. it was suppose to be minus
Fx = F - Fk
and Fk also has x, y components, which is along the x axis

Looks good to me. Just make sure you keep your signs straight -- I'd write F + Fk with Fk being a negative vector to denote direction. I do, however, believe you meant the right thing.

xcvxcvvc said:
Looks good to me. Just make sure you keep your signs straight -- I'd write F + Fk with Fk being a negative vector to denote direction. I do, however, believe you meant the right thing.

Hi, thanks for your reply.

I am sorry, but why is it F + Fk?

My thought would be that Fk is moving in the opposite direction of Fx.

Or you meant let Fk = -(uk*N)
So in general, the vector sum F + Fk

What is the "Accel of Crate Pushed at 30° Below Horizon"?

The "Accel of Crate Pushed at 30° Below Horizon" refers to the acceleration experienced by a crate that is being pushed at a 30 degree angle below the horizontal line. This acceleration is affected by various factors such as the mass of the crate, the force applied to push the crate, and the angle at which the crate is being pushed.

What causes the acceleration of a crate pushed at 30° below the horizon?

The acceleration of a crate pushed at 30° below the horizon is caused by the net force acting on the crate. This force is the vector sum of the force applied to push the crate and the force of gravity acting on the crate. The angle at which the crate is being pushed also affects the direction and magnitude of the acceleration.

How do you calculate the acceleration of a crate pushed at 30° below the horizon?

The acceleration of a crate pushed at 30° below the horizon can be calculated using the formula a = Fnet/m, where a is the acceleration, Fnet is the net force acting on the crate, and m is the mass of the crate. In this case, the net force is the horizontal component of the force applied to push the crate, which can be found using trigonometry.

What is the relationship between the angle of pushing and the acceleration of the crate?

The relationship between the angle of pushing and the acceleration of the crate is directly proportional. This means that as the angle of pushing decreases, the acceleration of the crate also decreases. However, the direction of the acceleration will change as the angle of pushing changes.

How does the mass of the crate affect its acceleration when pushed at 30° below the horizon?

The mass of the crate affects its acceleration when pushed at 30° below the horizon through the formula a = Fnet/m. This means that the larger the mass of the crate, the smaller its acceleration will be for a given net force. This is because the mass is in the denominator of the equation, so a larger mass will result in a smaller acceleration.