1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Force between 2 magnetic dipoles

1. Apr 23, 2009 #1
    Ok, so I have two magnetic dipoles, both lie on the x-axis, pointing in the positive x direction, say at x = 0 and x = a. I am to find the force of attraction between the two dipoles using the equation F=grad(m*B), as well as by the equation F=2(pi)IRBcos(theta), where R is the radius of a loop carrying current I. (I think, but not sure, that theta is the angle between the magnetic field vector and the plane of the loop)
    My question is: should I express each dipole as a loop of current, or maybe just one.. or when using the first formula is ok to just leave the dipoles as is (Im not sure how you say that, I guess you would say the 'ideal representation', when he dipoles just appear as arrows in the diagram). If I do this, it only takes about 2 steps, and I get (-3(mewnot)m)/2(pi)r^4 in the x direction. (Sorry, I couldnt get the LaTex to work for some reason this time) When I go to do it using the loop representation, however, it gets ugly when trying to find the field. Which is the correct approach?

Last edited: Apr 23, 2009
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted