1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Force between electric dipoles

1. Aug 29, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Arrange two electric dipoles with dipole moments qd nose to tail at a distance r (r >> d) along a line including their axis. Use Coulomb's law to show that the force between them varies as r4.

2. Relevant equations
    UaFqU.jpg

3. The attempt at a solution

So in my first attempt, all I did was solve the dipole moment eqn for q, (q1=p1/d, q2=-p2/d) and plug that into Coulomb's law so that you get F= -(p1p2/d2)/(4(pi)(eps0)r2)

Now the part where I am confused is the difference between r and d. If they are just different ways of describing the same thing, then I would get r4 in the denominator which I think then proves that the force falls off at r4.
    Is this assumption correct? What is the difference between r and d?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 29, 2010 #2
    r and d are different .. notice you have (r >> d) in the problem statement.

remember that a dipole consists of two charges separated a small distance.
    so the layout looks something like

-q1 ... q1 {space here == distance = r} -q2 ... q2

or as a dipole interaction
    --> (d1) {space here == distance = r} --> (d2)
    [where d1 = q1*d and d2 = q2*d ]

where the distance d is the distance between -q1 and q1 and
    -q2 and q2 and the distance r>>d is the distance between the dipoles.
    (might as well consider it the distance from center to center.)

so you'll need to use coulomb's law and some approximation [Taylor's series]
    such that r>>d (or d/r << 1).

4. Aug 29, 2010 #3
    Ah ok, that makes perfect sense. My textbook author doesn't always break things down that much, but I understand now. Thanks very much for your help!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook