What is the force between moving charges?

In summary, the conversation is about a homework problem involving electric and magnetic forces. The person is having trouble with parts B and C and is asking for help. The equation F = q2v X B1 = q2v *μo*q1v/(4π*2d2) is mentioned, as well as the concept of εoμo = 1/c2. The person asks for clarification and the solution is provided, stating that the magnitude of the electric force is greater than the magnetic force due to the angle at which the second charge is moving.
j88k

Homework Statement

http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/4245/picture2jwi.png

Homework Equations

see picture

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know what is going wrong with part B and I'm running out of attempts! Please help me with that and part C as well.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
j88k said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know what is going wrong with part B and I'm running out of attempts! Please help me with that and part C as well.

Thanks

F = q2v X B1 = q2v *μo*q1v/(4π*2d2)

Your distance squared is 2d2 isn't it?

For part C) consider that

εoμo = 1/c2

didn't get it.. one more attempt left..

http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/3769/picture2zjr.png

and the answer for part C would be: The magnitude of the electric force is greater than the magnitude of the magnetic force. ?

Last edited by a moderator:
anyone?

I think the problem is that the second charge is moving at an angle to the field generated by the other charge.

I think the F then is a factor of √2/2 off. (The value of sinθ that v is relative to the B field.)

What is the force between two moving charges?

The force between two moving charges is called the electromagnetic force, which is one of the four fundamental forces of nature. It is caused by the interaction of the electric and magnetic fields created by the charges.

How is the force between moving charges calculated?

The force between two moving charges can be calculated using the Coulomb's Law, which states that the force is directly proportional to the product of the charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. It can also be calculated using the Lorentz Force Law, which takes into account the motion of the charges.

What is the direction of the force between two moving charges?

The direction of the force between two moving charges depends on the relative motion of the charges. If the charges are moving parallel to each other, the force will be attractive if the charges have opposite signs and repulsive if they have the same sign. If the charges are moving perpendicular to each other, the force will be perpendicular to both the velocity and the magnetic field of the charges.

How does the force between moving charges affect their motion?

The force between moving charges can cause them to accelerate, decelerate, or change direction depending on the direction and magnitude of the force. This force is responsible for the motion of charged particles in electric and magnetic fields, such as in electric motors and particle accelerators.

Can the force between moving charges be shielded or canceled?

The force between moving charges cannot be shielded or canceled, as it is a fundamental force of nature. However, its effects can be minimized by using materials with high electrical conductivity, such as metals, which can redirect the electric and magnetic fields created by the charges.