1. PF Contest - Win "Conquering the Physics GRE" book! Click Here to Enter
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Force between two charges

1. Jan 6, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    When a metal sheet is introduced in between two charges placed in air what will happen to the force between them? Will it decrease, or, increase, or, become zero? What will be the explanation? kindly reply.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 13, 2010 #2
    Why has no one replied to my question? Had I asked any thing so trivial in nature or so tough to answer? I eagerly wait for the expert opinions on the subject from the forum-friends.
  4. Jan 13, 2010 #3
    I'm definitely no expert, but my guess is that there is no effect on the force. By introducing the metal sheet, you neither add nor take away any of the charges. Nor do you increase/decrease their distance from each other.

The metal sheet if its thick may become polarized in which case the force you observe in may decrease, but it has not been taken away since it now is present in the metal itself.

Hope that helps.
  5. Jan 14, 2010 #4
    Thank you for your reply. But the answer given for this question in books is "the force decreases". Only the explanation for "why it decreases" is not given. Hope this will initiate further discussion on this topic.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook