Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B Force between two Nucleons

1. Sep 30, 2018 #1
    My question is whether the force between two protons is slightly less than the force between two neutrons as you'd expect from the electrostatic repulsion or does the strong nuclear force somehow treat all nucleons such that they have the same force acting between them? I'd really appreciate some help, thank you

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 30, 2018
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 30, 2018 #2
    Of course the electrostatic forces are much weaker- I'm just interested in knowing if there indeed is a slight difference as one might think

4. Sep 30, 2018 #3

mfb

2017 Award

Staff: Mentor

The strong interaction doesn't care about electric charges. You have two independent interactions, and for two protons the electromagnetic interaction is repulsive.

5. Oct 1, 2018 #4

LURCH

Science Advisor

This is a very interesting question. Does this mean that the amount of force required to separate two neutrons is the same as that required to seperate two protons? Or can the protons be separated with slightly less force, like, the the amount required for neutrons minus something for the strength of the magnetic repulsion between the two protons?

6. Oct 1, 2018 #5
    Exactly what I want to know :D

7. Oct 1, 2018 #6
    which would imply what @LURCH said, correct?

8. Oct 1, 2018 #7

mfb

2017 Award

There is no bound state for two protons or two neutrons and "distance" becomes a problematic concept as well.

9. Oct 1, 2018 #8
    So its very hard to say. Alright, I can take that as the best answer which can possibly be given- Thank you very much :D

10. Oct 1, 2018 #9
    Does an alpha particle not count as a bound state?

Cheers

11. Oct 1, 2018 #10
    Alpha particle is 2 neutrons+2 protons. I think he means there are no two separate nuclei which have only 2 protons or two neutrons

12. Oct 2, 2018 #11
    The strong force works between proton in the nucleus. The energy to keep them together came from Δm of mass of nucleus and Total mass of proton and neutron, the Δm was converted to energy by the equation E = Δm.c² to keep proton in the nucleus stay together

13. Oct 2, 2018 #12

mfb

2017 Award

Right. If there would be bound states "2 protons" and "2 neutrons" (separately) then the former could be bound weaker.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted