How Do Currents in Adjacent Wires Affect Their Mutual Force?

In summary, the problem requires calculating the net force on a rectangular loop of wire due to a long straight wire, with given dimensions and distance between the two. The correct formula should be used to calculate the force on each segment of the loop, and then added together to find the net force. There may have been errors in the values used or in the calculations performed, as the result obtained is different from the textbook answer. Further review and double-checking of the values and equations used is recommended.
jena
Hi,

My Question:

A rectangular loop of wire lies in the same plane as a straight wire, as show in Fig. 20-57. There is a current of 2.5A in both wires. Determine the magnitude and direction of the net force on the loop.

http://www.webassign.net/pse/p31-09.gif"

where the width is 10.cm and width of the box is 5.0 cm and distance from the rectangular loop and the straight wire is 3.0 cm.

My Work

F=((mu constant)(I)^2(length))/(2pi(distance))
F=((4pi x 10^-7 Tm/A)(2.5A)^2(.10m))/(2pi(.05m))
F=2.5 x 10^-6 N

but the answer in the back of the book gives F=2.6 x 10^6

What did I do wrong:confused:

Thank You:smile:

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You need to calculate the force on each segment of the loop due to the long straight wire, and add them up. It looks to me like you only attempted to calculate the force on a single segment.

It also looks like you've plugged in the wrong distance (that's supposed to be the distance from the straight wire to the segment you are analyzing).

And this bit here is confusing:

where the width is 10.cm and width of the box is 5.0 cm and distance from the rectangular loop and the straight wire is 3.0 cm.

Which one is the "width"?

Sorry,

http://www.webassign.net/pse/p31-09.gif"

width=5 cm
Length= 10 cm
height= 3 cm

I thought the width would be used for the distance, but I guess that's wrong. I tried plugging in number but with no results close to the textbook answer of 2.6 x 10^-6 N

I still don't know what I did wrong though:confused:

Please help and Thank You

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the force between two wires?

The force between two wires is the attractive or repulsive force that exists between two parallel current-carrying wires due to the interaction of their magnetic fields.

2. What factors affect the force between two wires?

The force between two wires is affected by the distance between the wires, the current flowing through the wires, and the direction of the current flow in each wire.

3. How is the force between two wires calculated?

The force between two wires can be calculated using the formula F = (μ0 * I1 * I2 * L) / (2 * π * d), where μ0 is the permeability of free space, I1 and I2 are the currents in each wire, L is the length of the wires, and d is the distance between the wires.

4. What is the direction of the force between two wires?

The direction of the force between two wires can be determined using the right-hand rule. If the currents in the two wires are in the same direction, the force is attractive, and if the currents are in opposite directions, the force is repulsive.

5. How does the force between two wires impact electrical systems?

The force between two wires can cause wires to move or vibrate, which can lead to wear and tear on the wires and potentially cause damage to electrical systems. It is important for engineers to consider and account for this force when designing and building electrical systems.