1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Force between two wires

1. Oct 12, 2005 #1
    Hi,

My Question:

A rectangular loop of wire lies in the same plane as a straight wire, as show in Fig. 20-57. There is a current of 2.5A in both wires. Determine the magnitude and direction of the net force on the loop.

http://www.webassign.net/pse/p31-09.gif

where the width is 10.cm and width of the box is 5.0 cm and distance from the rectangular loop and the straight wire is 3.0 cm.

My Work

F=((mu constant)(I)^2(length))/(2pi(distance))
    F=((4pi x 10^-7 Tm/A)(2.5A)^2(.10m))/(2pi(.05m))
    F=2.5 x 10^-6 N

but the answer in the back of the book gives F=2.6 x 10^6

What did I do wrong:confused:

Thank You:smile:

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 12, 2005 #2

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You need to calculate the force on each segment of the loop due to the long straight wire, and add them up. It looks to me like you only attempted to calculate the force on a single segment.

It also looks like you've plugged in the wrong distance (that's supposed to be the distance from the straight wire to the segment you are analyzing).

And this bit here is confusing:

Which one is the "width"?

4. Oct 12, 2005 #3
    Sorry,

http://www.webassign.net/pse/p31-09.gif

width=5 cm
    Length= 10 cm
    height= 3 cm

I thought the width would be used for the distance, but I guess that's wrong. I tried plugging in number but with no results close to the textbook answer of 2.6 x 10^-6 N

I still don't know what I did wrong though:confused:

Please help and Thank You

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?