Force by streaming out water

In summary, the conversation discusses the force on a reservoir filled with water at a certain height with a hole at a lower height. The solution involves using Bernoulli's equation and calculating the force due to pressure difference and the force from the impulse of the water jet. The solution is deemed correct and the question is raised about why the force cannot be simply calculated using the pressure and area.
gaugie

Homework Statement

A reservoir filled with water to a height h has a hole with area A on height h1 with h1 < h.
What is the force on the reservoir? I neglected the fact, that the height of the reservoir itself changes.

The Attempt at a Solution

I started with Bernoulli at the top and at the hole with p_a being the atmospheric pressure:
[tex]p_a + \rho g h =c [/tex] ...
[tex] p_a + \rho g h_1 +\frac{1}{2} \rho v_1 ^2 =c[/tex].
With this I get:
[tex]v_1 ^2 = 2g(h-h_1)[/tex]
Now I want the Force, with I being the impuls:
[tex]F=\frac{dI}{dt}=\frac{dV}{dt}\rho v_1=Av_1\rho v_1=A\rho v_1 ^2[/tex]
and therefore I get:
[tex] F=2gA\rho(h-h_1)[/tex]

I now would want to know, if this solution is correct and furthermore, why I can't just assume that the force is due to the lack of pressure on one side and therefore just the pressure on hight h1 times area A on the opposite side, but rather get two times this force with my solution.
Thanks in advance,
gaugie

edit: the post should actually be in the "introductory physics" forum, but was accidentally postet here. I don't know, if it is appropriate here, otherwise please move the post.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes your solution is correct.
The force due to pressure difference is ρgA(h-h1).
The additional force comes due to the impulse of water jet streaming out of the reservoir.

1. What is the concept of force by streaming out water?

The concept of force by streaming out water refers to the force exerted by water as it flows out of a container or through a stream. This force is caused by the movement and pressure of the water molecules and can be measured using units of newtons (N).

2. How is the force by streaming out water related to Newton's Third Law?

According to Newton's Third Law of Motion, for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. In the case of force by streaming out water, the action is the water flowing out and the reaction is the force exerted by the water in the opposite direction. This force is equal in magnitude and opposite in direction to the force of the water flow.

3. What factors affect the force by streaming out water?

The force by streaming out water is affected by several factors, including the velocity of the water, the surface area of the opening from which the water is flowing, and the density and viscosity of the water. Other external factors such as gravity and air resistance can also impact the force exerted by the water.

4. How is the force by streaming out water measured?

The force by streaming out water can be measured using a force meter or a spring scale. The force meter is attached to the container or opening from which the water is flowing, and the scale will indicate the magnitude of the force. Alternatively, a spring scale can be used to measure the force by attaching it to an object that is being pushed by the force of the water flow.

5. What are some practical applications of the force by streaming out water?

The force by streaming out water has many practical applications, such as in hydroelectric power generation, where the force of water is used to turn turbines and generate electricity. It is also used in water pumps and sprinkler systems, where the force of water flow is essential for their function. Additionally, the force by streaming out water is used in many recreational activities such as water skiing and surfing.