Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Force calclulations on a drum

1. Sep 21, 2012 #1

wzrdstrm

Gold Member

I'm doing some work were its necessary to calculate the force acting on a drum via a wire rope. If I have a known weight acting on the rope already and I want to back calculate the minimum torque necessay for a motor connected to that drum to hold that load, do I add the diameter of the rope to the radius of the drum to do so?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 21, 2012 #2

Mech_Engineer

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It depends on how many wraps of cable you have on the drum. In general you will need to take into account the diameter of the wire for a couple of wraps on the drum.

Here's an example in off-road vehicle winching:

http://www.pangaea-expeditions.com/resources/winchworksheet/index.html

4. Sep 21, 2012 #3
    What sort of hoist system is this? If a crane or elevator, then all sorts of standards and requirements apply.

5. Sep 21, 2012 #4

wzrdstrm

Gold Member

Simple design only, not for commerical review/standards. We have a motor connected to a gear box (1:1) ratio, connected to a drum that has wire rope wrapped half way across the drum on the root layer (1st layer). What I am expecting is that that if the drum had a root diameter of 100 inches (including lebus grooving) and a roper diameter of 2 inches, for calculation purposes we would have an effective drum radius of 52 inches for the first layer. Is correct?

6. Sep 21, 2012 #5
    Center of drum to center of rope. 51 inches. But if you measure carefully, the Lebus shell will probably make that number a little different. Just measure total diameter including the rope layer and divide by 2. Then subtract one inch.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2012
  7. Sep 21, 2012 #6

wzrdstrm

Gold Member

Confused, why subract one inch? the total diameter would be

2 X Rope diameter + Root Drum Diameter

Last edited: Sep 21, 2012
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook